CROSS COUNTRY: Paul clocks new SBC district record

Josh Buckman

Senior Bonita Paul’s college career came to an end Saturday at District III, but she made her last race a memorable one.

Paul’s time of 20 minutes, 40.7 seconds was a new school record and was the fastest of any Sun Belt Conference distance runner in history at District III.

Also setting personal bests were freshmen Nicole Jaggers (22:40.1) and Danah Whitley (23:00.0) who finished 91st and 104th respectively. Sophomore Cheyenne Carmack was 117th (23:11.9).

Coach Curtiss Long called Carmack’s return “miraculous” after returning from an asthma attack.

“It was God’s grace actually,” Carmack said. “I felt really strong during the race.”

Health problems also hurt junior Cara Nichols, who finished 163rd (24:22.8), as she continued to suffer ill effects from a September virus.

Meanwhile sophomore Emily Leeper twisted her ankle causing her to finish 168th (24:33.9).

The Lady Toppers were 15th of 26 teams.

“We’re not concerned about the overall team place,” Long said. “You just do the best you can.”

Western’s men concluded their season finishing 16th of 23 teams in the 10,000-meter race.

“It’s probably some of the best competition we’ve seen all season,” junior David Altmaier said.

Altmaier was the highest finisher, placing 73rd of 181 (32:11.7). Sophomore Kevin Dick was 89th (32:41.6). Junior Daniel Roberts grabbed the 93rd position (32:45.1).

Locals sign for next fall

Yesterday the team announced the signing of senior Heather Coulter from Warren East High School in Bowling Green.

Coulter won the Kentucky AA high school cross country championship this year.

Travis Keown, also of Warren East, signed a letter of intent with Western yesterday. Keown finished fifth at the state championships.

Reach Josh Buckman at [email protected].