News briefs

Famous director on WKYU-PBS

Director John Carpenter will be a guest on the television program “Outlook” on WKYU-PBS.

The former Western student will discuss the effect growing up in Bowling Green had on his film-making career.

Carpenter will be speaking with Barbara Deeb, a television news producer and reporter.

Carpenter is the director of “Halloween” and other films,

The show will air Friday at 6:30 p.m. and Sunday at 8:30 a.m. and 10:30 p.m.

-Ashlee Clark

Thanksgiving break for the dorms

Students must be checked out of the dorms by noon tomorrow for Thanksgiving break.

Check-in will begin at 2 p.m. on Saturday.

Before students leave, they are asked to take out their trash, wash dishes, unplug everything except the refrigerator, set the room temperature to 72 degrees and the fan to medium, lock the windows, pull shades halfway down, turn off all lights, lock doors and check out with a resident assistant.

– Ashlee Clark

Forensics team places first

Forensics team members have been honored as first place winners in their past two tournaments.

Twelve members of the team participated in the Berea Invitational. They finished first in team sweepstakes over University of Indianapolis and Northern Kentucky University.

Eighteen Western members competed in the Ohio University and Marshall University Swing Tournament in Athens, Ohio. They placed first overall over George Mason University at the Marshall tournament.

In the Ohio University tournament, members were second in team sweepstakes.

– Amber North

Radio station finalist for national award

WWHR-FM, the student radio station, was a finalist in the 2003 Collegiate Broadcasters Inc. Student Production Awards.

Other finalists for Best Promo for Station or Student Media Outlet included Colorado State University, Southwest Texas State University and Marshall University, which placed first.

The awards were presented earlier this month at the National College Media Convention in Dallas.

-Ashlee Clark