Golden Girl graces campus

Adriane Hardin

The best exercise you can get is frequent sex. If you can’t have frequent sex, lift weights.

Rue McClanahan told a crowd of more than 700 last night at DUC Theater that she does both on a regular basis to stay healthy and energized.

McClanahan, best known for her role as Blanche on the television series “The Golden Girls,” spoke about her personal struggle with breast cancer and was greeted with a standing ovation when she took the stage.

A wide smile spread across McClanahan’s face.

“I think that deserves the Blanche Devereaux walk,” she said.

McClanahan sashayed across the stage and the theater erupted in whistles and catcalls.

Whistles and catcalls were a norm throughout the evening as McClanahan told the crowd about how she beat a disease that many consider unbeatable.

“I’m a breast cancer survivor,” McClanahan said. “Maybe some of you are too or will be.”

Felice Bolton, a freshman from Franklin, Tenn., came to hear McClanahan speak because she had a friend who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer.

“Her speech was motivating,” Bolton said.

McClanahan encouraged all of the women in the audience to take care of their bodies through diet and exercise. She also stressed that a positive attitude is key in overcoming life’s obstacles.

“If you start to think negative thoughts about anyone or anything, write those negative thoughts down on a little slip of paper,” McClanahan said. “Light a match, set it on fire and let it crumble.”

Remember to laugh a lot and always to continue growing and learning, McClanahan said.

McClanahan said there is a general misconception that most people believe all their lives – that youth is simply a period of life.

“Youth is a state of mind,” McClanahan said.

McClanahan said most people believe sexual performance decreases with age and “older” women should dress their age.

McClanahan told the audience that sexual performance is greatly dependent on attitude and that women should never lose their vigor for life.

She said the idea that you can’t teach an old dog new tricks is a myth.

“I have taught a lot of old dogs new tricks,” McClanahan said. “I’ve even had to teach some old men some old tricks.”

McClanahan said each person should face every day with an optimistic attitude.

“Remember every day God is saying to you, ‘May I have this dance?'” McClanahan said. “What’s better than a dance with God?”

After her speech McClanahan took questions from the crowd.

When a student asked if she could sing the theme song from “The Golden Girls,” she happily obliged. With a quivering voice she began to sing, “Thank you for being a friend.”

The audience began to clap and sing, finishing out the rest of the tune with her.

McClanahan was on hand after her speech to sign autographs.

Bowling Green juniors Lynn Veitschegger, Callie Murphy and Cara Nichols attended the event with Marcelle Beall, a Nashville junior.

The four girls were among the large crowd gathered outside the theater waiting for McClanahan to exit. They had hoped for more than an autograph.

Each girl had raided the closet of Murphy’s mother in search of 80s-style clothing and accessories.

They put the faces of Bea Arthur, Betty White, McClanahan and Estelle Getty on popsicle sticks and masqueraded into the theater in hopes of being pulled on stage.

“We don’t drink or do drugs or anything,” Veitschegger said. “This is what we do for kicks.”

The four masqueraders picked up their tickets last Monday and were not among the line that wrapped around DUC shortly before 7 last night.

Approximately 70 students who did not have advance tickets waited before the show for a chance to hear McClanahan speak.

According to Campus Activities Board assistant Azurdee Garland, all students waiting for tickets were seated for the show.

“Things went really really well,” Garland said. “Everyone is happy, it was student money well spent.”

Reach Adriane Hardin at [email protected].