SGA votes against plus/minus grading plan

Lindsey Reed

The Student Government Association says a new proposed grading system poses too many minuses – and they’ve gone on the record.

SGA unanimously passed legislation at Tuesday’s meeting objecting to a plus/minus grading system, which will be officially proposed to the University Senate today by economics professor Brian Strow.

SGA President John Bradley said the resolution is being sent to all senate members.

“I don’t think student concern has been evaluated by the proposers of the plus/minus grading system as of yet,” he said.

The resolution said the plus/minus grading system would have a negative impact on students and pointed out that most colleges and universities do not use it.

Strow said he was still confident in his decision to propose the new grading system.

“I’m still very much in favor of the plus/minus system,” he said. “Data has proven that it increases student efforts, so anything that increases students’ efforts, I will support.”

Strow said he was aware from the recent forum that some students were against his proposal, but he said he was disappointed in SGA’s objection.

“If they’re that opposed to work harder, then that shows how big of a problem we have,” he said.

Hopkinsville senior Natalie Croney, chair of the SGA Academic Affairs Committee, was one of the authors of the resolution objecting to the plus/minus grading system.

Croney said student response at the recent plus/minus forum aided in writing the resolution.

“This is a hard copy of what the general consensus is,” she said.

Legislation usually requires two readings before a vote can be made, but a motion was made to suspend the by-laws and move onto debate so a vote could be made before today’s senate meeting.

In other business

•Legislation to add a new shuttle shelter and an online suggestion box was passed on Tuesday at the meeting.

Monticello junior Shawn Peavie, chair of the Campus Improvements Committee, said the committee proposed the idea for a new shuttle shelter on University Boulevard because there is currently only a bench, and students have no protection from the weather.

The bill allocates up to $8,000 for the purchase, but Peavie said the project could cost less.

While shuttle stops at the Environmental Science and Technology Hall and the parking structure also do not have shelters, Peavie said the Jones-Jaggers shuttle stop was given priority because students are most vulnerable to weather changes there.

“The other areas have places people could go stand,” Peavie said.

Nashville sophomore Natalina Elliott, a member of the Campus Improvements Committee, said a bench wouldn’ t be placed under the new shelter.

“We wanted to fit as many people under the shelter while it was raining as possible, and a bench actually prevents people from getting in,” she said.

Elliott also said the decision not to add a bench could make the shelter wheelchair accessible.

The shelter would be built beside the current bench, but not over it.

• An online suggestion box was passed by SGA during Tuesday’s meeting.

The proposal was sponsored by the Campus Improvements Committee. Peavie said the online suggestion box was created to increase communication. The box will allow students to give ideas and complaints to SGA without directly going to a member. It will be placed on SGA’s Web site.

“We thought it would be easier to log on than going to the SGA office and filling out a paper,” he said.

Reach Lindsey Reed at [email protected].