SGA pushes for sooner notification of dining service changes

Lindsey Reed

Students on the Hill may be getting more of a notice on any dining service changes.

Student Government Asso-ciation unanimously passed legislation calling for Dining Services to give students more notification on changes in service hours or facilities.

The resolution recommends that Dining Services post and advertise changes at least two weeks before they go into effect.

The resolution was sponsored by the Student Affairs Committee.

Radcliff sophomore Katie Dawson, co-chair of the Student Affairs Committee, said the resolution was made in part because of the confusion over dining hours during fall break.

She said students were also not notified about the change in operation hours for Garrett Food Court when they returned from fall break.

Garrett Food Court previously closed at 7 p.m., but now closes at 2:30

p.m. The Subway restaurant in Garrett now stays open until 7 p.m.

“We felt that since we are the ones that use the services, we should be notified,” Dawson said. “We felt two weeks was proper notification.”

The legislation said the notifications were needed because freshmen are now required to have meal plans and because many students stay on campus during breaks.

Representatives from Dining Services could not be reached for comment yesterday.

In other business President John Bradley said SGA has received approval from Howard Bailey, dean of Student Life, to hold a rally outside of Garrett Ballroom before next month’s University Senate meeting, where a possible vote to implement a plus/minus grading system can be made.

Bradley said a petition against the grading change is also in the works.

Students can soon stop by the SGA office or see an SGA member to sign it, he said.

“Anybody in the Western community can sign the petition,” he said.

SGA is also preparing for Tuesday’s Dialogue Day outside of Java City in Helm-Cravens Library from noon to 2 p.m. Nineteen to 22 administrators will be in attendance for students to meet.

The event is also an opportunity for students to put a name with a face and ask questions, Dawson said.

“I’m pretty sure anybody with an issue will have somebody to talk to,” she said.

Reach Lindsey Reed at [email protected]