Letters to the editor

Vote Chandler, not Fletcher

In response to Darrin Holloway’s letter (Oct. 16), I agree with “voting your head,” but only to an extent.?You are right: one candidate did offer plans to solve many of our commonwealth’s problems. But that candidate was not Ernie Fletcher; it was Ben Chandler.?Most of Fletcher’s plans aren’t feasible. The few that are will only benefit already successful businesses and the wealthy.?Chandler’s plans will benefit everyone in Kentucky from small business owners to teachers to senior citizens to students.?

Chandler is committed to bringing jobs to Kentucky, jobs that our graduates desperately need. His proposed university research programs will provide many opportunities to an institution like Western, allowing students to gain firsthand research experience while also bringing more information to the state and more money to the university. This increase in revenue should also help keep tuition low. Chandler wants to see all Kentuckians prosper.?His priorities are to make everything affordable and to not keep money within certain corporations.?

Political candidates cannot generate sound bytes as you claim; only computers can. Wait a minute; Fletcher’s cold, rehearsed, repetitive responses did sound like something from a computer – a computer pre-programmed straight from Washington. So maybe those were sound bytes after all.?We don’t need to fix the mess in Frankfort by bringing in mess from Washington.?

Exercise your right to vote and cast that important vote with care. Put Kentucky first and vote for more jobs, vote for higher education and vote for your future. On Nov. 4 vote for Ben Chandler!

Kyle Gott

Bowling Green sophomore

Whatever you do, vote

A large number of older people say that young people don’t care and don’t vote. The worst part about this statement is that it is all too true. Most young people are not concerned much about the important issues. I would guess that if you asked the entire student body at Western, you would be lucky to find half of the people you asked who even know who is running for governor of Kentucky.

We have one great candidate running. Congressman Ernie Fletcher was a fighter pilot and has a degree in engineering. He graduated from medical school and was a practicing physician when his friends asked him to run for Congress. These are just a few of his positive assets.

We need a change in our state government. Fletcher is an ordained lay minister and should reestablish moral ethics in Frankfort. He is against abortion and increased gambling; his opponent (Ben Chandler) says he supports both. He is very interested in improving education. Fletcher has made Bowling Green a repeated stop and promises to return many times when elected.

If you are registered and cannot go home to vote, call your county clerk’s office or have your parents call and get an application for an absentee ballot sent to you, and do it NOW. TODAY. You may even vote in your home county clerk’s office early if you can get there. We must do our part as adults and show that we are responsible and that we do care.

Jason R. Herring

Franklin sophomore

Mistakes killed my message

In order to reassure the four or five people who read my Thursday commentary (“Issue with running of ad speaks to much bigger problem”) of my sanity, I would like to clear up a few errors.

Upon opening Thursday’s Herald, I was dismayed to see that a few of my choice words had been replaced with words of different meaning. After my clever and satiric opening jab at the whole Hell House debacle, my article quickly says that the previous phrase may have been “irrelevant.” Okay, maybe the whole article was irrelevant … but I digress. The word should have been “irreverent” – as in the opposite of reverent.

Even worse, a hilarious poke-in-the-ribs at campus PROTESTERS had been turned into a nonsensical gripe with campus PROFESSORS. What other kind of professors are there? And why would they have smashed their TVs? Do professors even make enough to AFFORD TV?

And lastly, the end of the article proclaimed that I, R. Justin Shepherd, am a senior from “Shepardsville.” I was once from ShepHERDsville, which is spelled just like my name, which was only a few words away! Yet my submission to the Herald originally stated that I am a “Bowling Green senior.” I have set up my permanent home here in Bowling Green, and I think that only a homeowner like myself should have the right to decide where he is or is not from. Admittedly, I’m not sure if I am actually a senior. Still, at this mistake-laden point, who’s counting? Or even reading? Probably just me, considering that the headline was among the most boring I’ve ever read. But that issue’s better saved for another time … I wouldn’t want anyone to start thinking I’m too critical.

R. Justin Shepherd

Bowling Green

A thought about Hell House controversy

When the “Hell House” ad appeared last week, a rather important question emerged: Should the College Heights Herald associate itself with an extreme right-wing Christian view? I applaud R. Justin Shepherd when he says it would be unethical of the Herald to censor a conservative organization because of a political opinion. To censor an ad that leans either way politically would be unethical. I have complete faith that the editors (and the advertising department) respect and support the “melting pot” that Western has become. There are just as many liberal students reading this paper as there are conservative, and all of us would like to be represented the same. To put it another way, a great college newspaper is one where a pro-gay or pro-choice organization can have an advertisement on the same page as Victory Baptist Church. I’m sure most of us are sick and tired of this debate. My suggestion is to move the focus toward giving this campus, and this newspaper, enough room for all sorts of political and spiritual views.

Beth Farnham

junior from Hampden, Maine