Step show returns to Diddle

Dedra McDowell

They’ve been seen strolling through the crowd at parties and have been spotted stepping at various spots across the community. And for months they’ve practiced for a chance to show off their talents.

The Homecoming Step Show.

“It’s all for fun, friendly competition and for bragging rights,” said April White, President of the Western chapter of National Panhellenic Council.

The National Panhellenic Council annual Homecoming Step Show will return at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday to Diddle Arena this year after spending last year at the Old Bowling Green High School.

Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority, Delta Sigma Theta sorority, Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity, Omega Psi Phi fraternity, and Phi Beta Sigma fraternity are expected to perform, along with a high school dance group.

Last year, Alpha Phi Alpha and AKAs won the competition.

By tradition, stepping is both a form of entertainment and a form of expression for black Greek organizations. Their routines combine stepping, dancing and acting in an effort to entertain and intrigue the crowd.

The step show was first introduced to Western in 1969 by Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity on the sidewalk of Downing University Center.

After growing in popularity, the show was moved to DUC Theater and eventually to Diddle Arena.

“I’ll definitely be there,” Nashville sophomore Ashley Hunter said.

Since the step show has returned to Diddle this year that it will most likely draw a larger crowd, White said. It will be easier to people to go because the show will be on campus and can come right after other Homecoming events are finished.

Sophomore Awa Oka, who missed the event last year when it was held at Old Bowling Green High School, agreed.

“I heard it was real good, but I didn’t get to go because of transportation,” he said. “I’ll go this year.”

White said while the step show is the biggest Homecoming event for black undergraduate students, organizers want a more diverse crowd this year.

“Come out, have a good time, but know that that is not all that we’re about,” White said.

Reach Dedra McDowell at [email protected]