Greek Village

[email protected]

I do not wish for this to be published. I simply wanted to know if the staff has researched how much of off-campus students’ (Greek or non-Greek students) tuition has gone toward on-campus housing and facilities that are seldom used by those living off-campus? Has that perspective been acknowledged or explored? Should students who choose and pay to live off-campus receive a reduction in tuition because they prefer to live off-campus? Should they continue to subsidize housing costs for those who live on campus versus off-campus?

Greek or not, a percentage of thousands of past, current, and future students’ tuition has gone toward dorm renovations, improvements, and new construction that they have not personally utilized. Their monies have helped subsidize housing costs so that students who can’t afford, won’t, or don’t want to, live off-campus can reside on-campus at a below average cost. How many thousands of dollars of their tuition has been spent to better the campus facilities and improve dorms? The Greeks are not asking for a handout. Greeks are willing to fund or finance the vst majority of the purchase and construction themselves through fundraising, alumni contributions, and the sale of currently owned private property?

The criticism of the Greek Village seems largely misguided. How many other student groups benefit directly or indirectly (housing, use of facilities, etc.) from monies included in off-campus Greek or non-Greek tuition and fees?

Year after year, the Greek community contributes heavily in fundraising, athletic support, and community service. How many man/woman hours have been volunteered to the campus and administration? It would be a challenge to estimate how many dollars the hours of Phon-a-thon work and other volunteer activities have benefited the whole of campus and the community and not just their respective organizations. You can choose to focus on the parties, drinking, and extracurricular pursuits of the Greek organizations, but at least acknowledge their positive contributions as well.

Yet, when help is offered to establish a Greek Village, some in the remainder of the student body are outraged by the gesture of the University and the City of Bowling Green to help them obtain better housing for their organizations, improve campus, and better the areas around campus.