‘Apocalypso!’ to kick off theater season

Catherine Damron

By Catherine Damron

Herald reporter

Western’s theatre and dance department will present five children’s productions, two main stage plays and one student dance concert during the fall 2003 semester.

Theatre and dance department head Scott Stroot said they are ready for the upcoming semester.

“We’re always excited to start the semester, especially with new productions,” Stroot said.

Owensboro sophomore Jay Renfrow is trying out for “Apocalypso!,” one of the new plays being performed this year. It will play Sept. 25-30 at the Russell H. Miller Theatre.

“I’m ready for the work, it’s been a long summer,” Renfrow said. “It feels good to be back.”

It is also the 30th anniversary for the Children’s Theatre Series at Western.

According to theatre and dance assistant professor David Young, the children’s dance concert, “Dancin’ in Time,” will tour about 14 schools in Kentucky.

Young also said that visiting director John Doyle will work on a production of Shakespeare’s “A Midsummer Night’s Dream.”

Doyle, from London, has directed for the West End, London’s equivalent of Broadway. Doyle also co-wrote the book “Shakespeare for Dummies.”

“We are very fortunate to have [Doyle] work with us at Western,” Young said. “He has so much experience, and lots of stories to tell.”

Doyle said Western will host the Kentucky Theatre Association meeting in October. There, Kentucky students will have the opportunity to audition for 40 slots in the Southeastern Theatre Conference. The chosen students will have opportunities to participate in major productions and summer stock.

Morehead sophomore Laura Franzini wants Western’s students to be excited about this semester.

“Hopefully we’ll present some good shows and draw in more students,” Franzini said.

Reach Catherine Damron at [email protected].