New faces occupy high places

Clare Lowther

John Bonaguro said he likes Kentucky, but the humidity will take some getting used to. He says it’s quite a contrast to the weather in his previous home in Ithaca, New York.

Still, he said the humidity isn’t all bad.

Bonaguro is one of four educators who have taken leadership positions at Western since last semester.

He replaces interim dean David Dunn, who went into optional retirement last semester.

His last job was as an assistant dean at the School of Health Sciences and Human Performance at Ithaca College in New York. He had also served as associate dean, acting dean and professor.

The College of Health and Human Services was established as first the School of Health and Human Services in the fall of 2001. It became the College of Health and Human Services in the fall of 2002 and has been searching for a permanent dean since its creation.

Health and Human Services consists of several health related programs including nursing, social work and communication disorders.

Bonaguro said he is excited about the position because the college is so new, and he feels it has a lot of potential. He said he has found the experiences of being here very positive so far.

“It’s such a welcoming community,” he said. “There is such enthusiasm by the faculty and staff.”

Sam Evans will serve as dean of the College of Education and Behavioral Sciences.

Evans has taught at Western since 1990 and held several administrative positions within the college, including associate dean of Educational and Behavioral Sciences.

He replaces Karen Adams , who left in December for Central Michigan University to serve as dean of the College of Education and Human Services.

Pam McAllister Johnson was named director of the School of Journalism and Broadcasting.

She replaces Jo-Ann Albers, who went into optional retirement.

Johnson previously served as R.M. Seaton visiting professor at Kansas State University and has worked at several other colleges and universities.

She served as president and publisher of the Ithaca Journal in New York for 13 years and holds the distinction of being the first black woman in the United States to head a general circulation newspaper.

Johnson described the journalism and broadcasting program at Western as one of distinction. She said she wants to raise money for the program and promote it nationally.

“My goals are to maintain the strength of the schools and to promote them on a national level,” Johnson said.

John C. Reis is the new head of the department of engineering. Reis previously served as an aerospace engineering professor at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Arizona. He has experience in mechanical, nuclear, petroleum, environmental and aerospace engineering.

He replaces John Russell , who went into optional retirement.

John Petersen, associate vice president for Academic Affairs, said the candidates had been chosen from a nationwide pool of applicants.

“We feel very good about the qualifications of these people for the jobs,” he said.

Western has also filled several other positions with interim heads, including Karen Schneider in the English department and Connie Foster in Library Technical Services.

In addition, Robert Reber will serve as the interim dean of the Gordon Ford College of Business while Robert Jefferson is on sabbatical.

Reach Claire Lowther at [email protected]