Features briefs

Phi Delts win trophy

Western’s chapter of Phi Delta Theta has won the Founders Trophy from the Phi Delta Theta International Fraternity.

It’s the second time since 2000 that the Western chapter claimed the trophy, one of the fraternity’s three highest awards.

The Founders Trophy is for excellence in chapter operations, campus involvement, academics, community service and leadership.

Sigma Chis win Peterson

Western’s chapter of Sigma Chi has won the Peterson Significant Chapter Award from the Sigma Chi International Fraternity.

The award recognizes undergraduate chapters for their performance in all areas of chapter operations and is the highest honor the fraternity bestows on undergraduate chapters.

Pageant applications

Applications are being accepted for the 2004 Miss Kentucky USA and the Miss Kentucky Teen USA pageants to be held Nov. 28-30 in Somerset.

Prospective participants must be between 15 and 19 years old to compete in the Miss Kentucky Teen USA Pageant. The Miss Kentucky USA Pageant is open to women ages 18-27.

Those interested should contact Betty Clark at (270) 527-1912.

Civil War re-enactment at Hobson Grove

Riverview at Hobson Grove will host a Living History Day, “Brother Against Brother: Kentucky During the Civil War,” from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday.

Re-enactors representing Kentucky and Tennessee cavalry, artillery and infantry regiments will drill, skirmish and fire their cannons.

Guest speakers include Scott F. Kilgore, Gene Rich and Judy Pierce.

Barbecue, hot dogs, watermelon, fried apple pies, lemonade, apple cider and iced tea will be available.

Admission is free with the purchase of a tour of the Riverview House Museum – $5 for adults, $10 for families and $2.50 for students.