Freebies galore tomorrow

Jesse Osbourne

Campus and community events will combine forces with the Bowling Green/Warren County Chamber of Commerce tomorrow for the annual Welcome Back Western Resource Fair.

According to special events director Jeff Younglove, 46 local businesses will show what they have to offer from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. tomorrow on the DUC South Lawn.

Businesses from Bowling Green will give away free items to Western students and provide information about the services they provide.

Younglove said that last year businesses gave away TVs, VCRs, free meals and gift certificates.

In addition to business tents, Younglove said this year’s fair will feature a little bit of everything, from Western’s radio station to a rock-climbing wall.

“We’re trying to reach as many students as we can,” he said.

Renea Dearing, a representative for Service One Credit Union, said the credit union will be promoting their new free student checking accounts.

Service One, located on campus, will co-sponsor a tent with Purity Dairies and give away free lemonade and iced tea.

Other businesses registered to participate include Greenwood Mall, Rafferty’s and Western Place Apartments.

But local businesses won’t be the only guests on South Lawn. One tent will be set up just for student organizations.

“This is a really good opportunity for new students,” Younglove said. “Students could spend 20 minutes between classes and check it out.”

Younglove said that later in the evening dining services will serve a meal on the South Lawn instead of in the dining center.

The cookout-style meal will be prepared with celebrity chefs.

The chefs weren’t confirmed yet, but the fair committee is trying to get President Gary Ransdell. Following the cookout, the football team will play the Red-White football scrimmage at 7 p.m. at Smith Stadium.

Reach Jesse Osbourne at [email protected]