‘Night’ to feature singing talent.

Lindsey Reed

The voices of some of Western’s female students will echo sounds of everything from country to pop at Downing University Center Theater tonight.

The first “Night with a Diva” will begin at 8 p.m. tonight and will have various musical performances from five different female students.

The students will be showcasing tunes from musical genres such as pop, country, jazz, modern opera and contemporary Christian, University Center Director Scott Taylor saidCQ.

Taylor said “Night with a Diva” will be different from most musical events because it is not a competition.

“It really is going to be a low stress event–people are just showcasing talent,” Taylor said.

Taylor selected the participants based on some of his prior experiences judging musical competitions and pageants and with help from Western’s music department.

“We’re doing this just to see some local talent,” Taylor said.

He said that he was fascinated after hearing some of the students’ voices that will be a part of tonight’s event.

The event will include performances by Hopkinsville senior Melanie KingtonCQ, Mayfield sophomore Jaclyn GravesCQ, Morgantown freshmen Shera LawrenceCQ, Greenwood High School senior Jacqueline AdamsCQ and Bowling Green High School senior Hannah SomersCQ.

“It has an attractive appeal in that these are very talented singers in very diverse types of music,” Taylor said.

The group will begin the show by performing their rendition of “Proud Mary.”

Lawrence will be performing “Hero” by Mariah Carey and “There You’ll Be” by Faith Hill. Lawrence said she has sang several times during her life.

“I used to sing in church as a little girl, and I used to sing the national anthem at school events,” Lawrence said.

Lawrence said she is happy that tonight’s event won’t be judged.

“You don’t have the feeling of nervousness,” she said. “It’s more fun that way.”

Graves will be performing “Can’t Fight the Moonlight” by LeAnn Rimes and “I Turn to You” by Christina Aguilera.

Like Lawrence, Graves said she is happy that this event is just for entertainment.

“I’ve been competing since I was 10 so it’s very relieving,” Graves said.

Taylor said he hopes to continue this type of event next fall.

“We’re going to try because there is enough talent on this campus,” Taylor said.

Tickets can be purchased in advance for $3 or for $5 at the door.