Exhibits resource for students, city

Megan Engle

With the Kentucky Museum’s immense presence along Big Red Way and large columns gracing the front of the building it is difficult to miss from the outside.

Inside are a variety of exhibits designed for almost anything one could find interesting, from photography and art to Hilltopper memorabilia.

Once such exhibit is “New York: A City Searching for Hope” taken by photographers in the journalism department. The exhibit opened September 11, 2002 and will continue through June 2003.

Another exhibit at the museum is a collection of photographs titled “Women and Poverty” from four well-known photographers of the 20th Century, Francis Benjamin Johnston, Dorthea Lange, Marion Post Wolcott and Doris Ulmann.

The “Women and Poverty” exhibit will be at the museum until June 29.

Upcoming exhibits include, Integra Bank “Young at Heart: Children’s Book Illustrations” March 15 through Oct. 31, “New Deal Murals in Kentucky Post Offices” June 1 through July 13 and “The Wright Approach: Wilbur and Orville and Their Flying Machine” opening Sept. 13, marking the 110th anniversary of their first flight.

“We have such a diverse population here that people can find so many different interests,” said Exhibits Curator Donna Parker.

Other existing exhibits are “Kentucky Collaborations,” Integra Bank “P.S. I Love You: The Hilltoppers,” US Bank “Bill ‘Whitey’ Sanders: Comic Opera,” and “From Beanies to Mortarboards: Western’s Class of 1952.”

“Students can use us for research and a resource, not only to enjoy, but as a learning device from our collections,” Parker said.

Some students are brought to the museum with classes to get acquainted with the museum, and some use what they have learned to do research for projects.

“It is a good asset to our campus and the old antiques hold so much history, but my favorite was the Victorian exhibit,” said Upton sophomore Katie Gosser.

Parker explained that the most popular display in the museum is “P.S. I Love You: The Hilltoppers.”

“The Hilltoppers have had people drawn in because people were fans of them, they loved their music and some even knew them,” she said.

Parker said the Kentucky Museum draws people from all around the campus, Bowling Green and even nationally due to the online exhibits.

The latest online exhibit is “The Hill-Builder: Brinton B. Davis and Western Kentucky University.”

The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday 1 to 4 p.m. and is closed Monday.

Reach Megan Engle at [email protected].