Martin, johnson win contested SGA election races

Adriane Hardin

While students at Nite Class were stomping their feet to rhythmic beats, Student Government Association candidates were pacing the floor across the hall, waiting for polls to close Thursday night.

Shortly after 1 a.m. Friday, chief justice Holly Skidmore made election results public. There were frantic cell phone calls to family and friends. Hugs and handshakes were exchanged. And for some, tears flowed.

Next year’s president is Paducah junior John Bradley, who received 1,662 votes in an uncontested race.

“I’m looking forward to working with the executive council and the Board of Regents,” Bradley said.

Marion junior Patti Johnson burst into tears at the news that she won the race for executive vice president.

“I’m relieved it’s over, and I’m so excited,” Johnson said. “This was not a popularity contest … I have worked really hard.”

Johnson received 1,185 votes. Her opponent, Dana Lockhart, a junior from Hendersonville,Tenn., received 685.

“I want first and foremost to congratulate Patti Johnson on her victory and thank all students for voting,” Lockhart said.

Lockhart said he believes it’s difficult to be elected as a liberal non-Greek, a minority on campus. But he said he will continue to represent that minority in whatever capacity he can next year.

In the contested race for vice president of Administration, Bulan sophomore Jessica Martin defeated Monticello sophomore Shawn Peavie 1,056 votes to 686.

“It’s good to know students have faith in me. I won’t let them down,” Martin said. “I’m very excited. We have a lot of passionate people that are gonna be executive officers.”

Henderson sophomore Nick Todd received 1,661 votes in the uncontested race for vice president of Finance.

Abby Lovan, a sophomore from Jeffersonville, Ind., received 1,694 votes in the uncontested race for vice president of Public Relations.

Bradley said he and the other members of executive council will make sure SGA’s budgetary concerns are taken care of this summer. Executive council will also attend meetings and retreats to prepare for the upcoming year.

A total of 2,014 students voted in this year’s SGA election.

The quest of Western’s radio station 91.7-WWHR to generate revenue by raising student fees by $3 was supported by 1,066 students, while 765 voted against the referendum.

New Haven junior Rachael Blair, an announcer at 91.7- WWHR, was on hand with several other members of the station’s staff Thursday night.

“I’m so excited. I was so scared,” Blair said. “I’m glad we had the chance to have the referendum and bring on more voters.”

The referendum will now move to the Board of Regents for consideration.

Reach Adriane Hardin at [email protected]