N-Style now accepting Big Red Cards

Kandace Sebastian

Paying for a haircut, manicure or golden tan will now be a breeze with just a swipe of the Big Red card at the N-Style Hair and Tanning Salon.

On March 10, Western’s on-campus salon, located on the first floor of Bates-Runner Hall, began allowing students to use their Big Red dollars to pay for salon services.

N-Style owner Robin Owens said students have asked about the possibility of using Big Red dollars since the salon opened in fall 2001.

“We’ve had a lot of students that were going without haircuts because they didn’t have the cash for it,” Owens said. “People wanted to see if they could use their Big Red cards, and I’d tell them we’re getting them soon.”

The salon has serviced up to 200 customers per day since the spring semester began, she said.

Owensboro sophomore Misty Lindsey, an N-Style employee, said she has seen the difference offering Big Red dollars has made for the salon.

“We’ve gotten so many more customers,” Lindsey said. “They are paying for everything with their cards.”

Some students agree using Big Red dollars is more convenient.

Sebree freshman Aimee Wiley attends N-style for the tanning beds and said Big Red dollars fit in her budget.

“It’s a big help,” Wiley said. “I don’t have a job, and mom puts money on the Big Red card.”

Owens said students can also use their Big Red cards for hair products such as Bed Head, Rusk, American Crew, Paul Mitchell, Ice, Dudley and Motions.

The salon can also make special orders for products that are not available in stock.

“They had the money but they couldn’t get to it,” Owens said. “Now they can.”

Reach Kandace Sebastian at [email protected].