Campus celebrates differences

Megan Engle

People deal with diversity issues throughout their lives. Sometimes diversity can break people apart, and sometimes it can bring people together.

“We have a really diverse campus, more diverse than any one would realize,” said Enrollment Management Instructor Molly Kerby.

Beginning at 11 a.m. today on DUC South Lawn, people all over campus will come together for the 3rd Annual “Diversity Rocks.”

“It’s really a celebration on campus for students, faculty and staff to celebrate that we’re all here on a college campus together with different backgrounds,” said Azurdee Garland, Campus Activities Board assistant.

“Diversity Rocks” will begin with a cookout around 11 a.m. with food such as hamburgers, hot dogs and veggie dogs. The rest of the day will hold events including musical guests, such as a female Birksville Blues band, the band Lost River, two drum circles, a number of solo artists, d.j. Farnham and an open mic.

There will also be games throughout the day, such as wheel chair races.

At 1 p.m., there will be the headliner of the day, speaker Dan Renzi from MTV’s Real World Miami. He will be speaking on issues that most college students deal with, such as adjustment to college, safe sex, sexual preferences and student issues concerning fitting-in?and belonging.

“This is an event for all organizations on campus to show their support for diversity,” said Tish Duvall, University Bookstore office assistant. “It’s supposed to be a fun time.”

The day’s events should conclude around 5 p.m.

“Diversity Rocks” was started three years ago when Kerby was a approached by a student, Michael Brockman, who made the suggestion to combine all of the organizations on campus for one huge event.

“I like to give him the credit, it was pretty much started by just the two of us,” Kerby said.

Kerby said that this year, the organizations that are participating from around the community and on campus have grown since the beginning.

“There’s a lot of diversity on our campus, and it’s a good way to see what other people are into,” Kerby said.

BEGITAL Reach Megan Engle at [email protected]. ENDITAL