History professor gains opportunity to teach abroad

Catherine Damron

Charles Bussey will have an opportunity to show his passion to a whole new culture in August.

Bussey, a history professor, was awarded a Fulbright Scholar Award that will allow him to teach courses in U.S. history and government for 10 months at Agder University, a small school of 6,000 students in Kristiansand, Norway.

Bussey said he wants his soon-to-be students in Norway to understand the First Amendment and the right to dissent.

“America was born in dissent, that’s how we came into existence, by dissenting particular policies,” Bussey said. “Dissent does not mean you’re unpatriotic.”

Bussey also wants his students to learn the role of the U.S. Constitution and the three branches of government. They will also learn how the branches work together.

Kirsten Bermingham, Communications Specialist at the Council for International Exchange of Scholars, said Bussey was chosen by the Fulbright Program based on his past professional achievements and leadership skills.

Bermingham said the Fulbright Scholar Program exists to promote understanding between U.S. citizens and people from other countries.

“It is our hope that scholars like Charles Bussey will use their time as Fulbright Scholars for personal and professional development while making an impact on their colleagues, students and communities at home and abroad,” Bermingham said.

Bussey won another Fulbright Scholar Award in 1993 and taught in Denmark.

While there, Bussey found that his Danish students did not understand the American Supreme Court system.

“I had to redo a lot of my plans, and I’m not sure if that will be the case in Norway,” he said. “So, I’m willing to be flexible.”

Bussey said he has several Danish friends and plans to see them on his trip abroad. He also expects to become friends with Norwegians.

Faculty, like history department head Richard Weigel, said Bussey earned the honor.

“Bussey is one of the finest teachers we have,” Weigel said. “And the program is looking for excellent teachers like him. He will generate lots of student interest in Norway.”

Bowling Green junior Josh Hines, a student in Bussey’s American Studies II class, said he feels Bussey deserves the award.

“He’s a really smart guy,” he said.

Reach Catherine Damron at [email protected].