Student charged with assault

Abbey Brown

A female student was charged with assaulting a campus police officer early Sunday morning.

Jamie Lynn Byrd, a freshman from Tell City, Ind., is still in Warren County Regional Jail on a $10,000 cash bond.

She was initially pulled over by Officer Craig Sutter for disregarding a traffic control device but, according to the police report, she failed to comply with police and resisted the arrest.

Officer Lee McKinney arrived on the scene a few minutes after Sutter and warned Byrd that if she didn’t produce her driver’s license she would be arrested. She did not. Sutter opened the driver’s side door to arrest her and she turned around and kicked him in the legs and groin area, according to the report.

McKinney and Sutter removed Byrd from the vehicle and placed her against it. While attempting to handcuff her, Sutter said Byrd became “combative” and actively resisted arrest by pulling her arms in front of her. McKinney and Sutter then placed Byrd on the ground, and Sutter said he told her to stop fighting them.

After searching Byrd’s car, officers found a marijuana pipe in her purse and a blunt cigar roach in her ashtray. A marijuana field test tested positive for marijuana.

Byrd was charged Sunday with driving under the influence second offense, assault on a police officer, resisting arrest, possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, failure to produce a license and disregarding a traffic control device.

She was also arrested early Saturday morning and charged with driving under the influence aggravating circumstances, possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and speeding. She was released the same day from Warren County Regional Jail on $2,693.85 uninsured bond.

Her parents couldn’t be reached for comment.

Capt. Mike Wallace said assaulting a police officer is viewed very seriously by the court system.

“The time to disagree is not on the street, it is in the court room,” he said. “That is why we have courts. That is where disputes are settled.”

Assaulting a police officer is a class D felony and carries a sentence of one to five years in prison.

Reach Abbey Brown at [email protected].