Johnson vying for executive vice-president position

Clare Lowther

Patti Johnson wants every student on campus to know her name and to associate it with someone who is helpful and informative.

Johnson, a Marion junior, is running for Executive Vice President of the Student Government Association.

“Next year will be my senior year and last opportunity to represent students at Western,” she said in a prepared statement. “I want to be at every student’s beck and call …”

If elected, Johnson’s duties would include conducting SGA meetings, working the judicial council, voting on issues during a tie in congress and voting in the executive council. She would also work with Western’s administrators.

Johnson said if elected, she would push for a proposed plan for one-stop billing on Topnet.

She also supports the improvements of the Downing University Center and dining services.

“Sometimes all the construction can seem like a nuisance,” she said. “But it’s just Western’s way of preparing itself for the next generation of students … “

Johnson said she would push for the construction of a new parking garage. However, she emphasized that she would want students to choose the best way to pay for its construction.

Johnson has been an SGA member for two years and currently serves as Public Relations Committee Head and is a member of an Ad Hoc Committee. She served as Public Relations Co-chair last year and was on the Legislative Research Committee.

She said that through the public relations committee, she helped put suggestion boxes in dorms and promoted SGA. Through the legislative committee, she said she has both dealt with and written many pieces of legislation.

Johnson is a Corporate Communications major and marketing minor. She is an OAR Pal and served on her hall government for one year. She is also a member of the Kappa Delta sorority.

“I am a member of Kappa Delta, but I want to clarify that just because I am in a sorority, I am not any different from anyone else,” she said in her statement. “I am first and foremost a Western student who would enjoy representing Western.”

Reach Clare Lowther at [email protected].