Peavie to connect students and SGA

Clare Lowther

Shawn Peavie said he thinks it is important for the Student Government Association to have records which are easily accessible for everyone.

Peavie, a Monticello sophomore, is currently running for SGA vice president of Administration. He said that, if elected, he would work hard to ensure the accessibility of SGA records.

“It’s important to have a good background of meetings,” he said. “I would like to keep everything straight and easily available for anyone to view.”

As vice president of Administration, it would be Peavie’s job to keep the minutes from meetings and records of legislation and bills. He would also be required to keep regular office hours.

Peavie also said that, if elected, he would try to improve attendance at SGA forums, though he has no specific plan at this time.

“Students complain, and we hold these forums but have low attendance, ” he said. “I would like to find a bridge and connect students to the SGA and these forums.”

Peavie also hopes to get more people involved in SGA. He said it is important to show students that the SGA is there for them.

Peavie said that although he has no specific long-term goals, he supports several pieces of proposed legislation, including a plan under which students could pay all their bills in one lump sum on Topnet.

This is Peavie’s fourth semester as a member of SGA. He currently serves as Sergeant at Arms, where he makes sure meetings run smoothly. He has also served on the public relations committee and campus improvements committee.

Peavie is a pre-pharmacy major and member of the Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society. He currently serves as philanthropy chair for the Kappa Sigma fraternity, of which he has been a member for four semesters. He is also a member of the university complaints committee in Ogden College.

Peavie said he has always been interested in politics and that this interest inspired him to run for the SGA office this semester.

“We have a lot of good people in there right now,” he said. “I would like to continue that and help improve SGA.”

SGA elections will be April 2 and 3. Students can vote at topnet.wku.edu.

Reach Clare Lowther at [email protected].