Unity key to team success

Megan Engle

Most college students are busy trying to keep up with class work, participate in extracurricular activities and have a social life.

The forensics team not only keeps up with their every day activities, but they also take time to practice for upcoming competitions.

From improv to debate, these team members stay busy, which keeps them among the best.

Forensics team head coach Judy Woodring said the energy and challenge of this team is unlike anything else.

The forensics team competes on the national and international level against experts in all events. There are no divisions to divide the schools. The team must face every school in the nation.

Woodring said “winning” is the motto the team uses wherever they go.

“We don’t say we’re going to try to win, or simply do our best,” she explained.

For the international competition this year, the group’s goal is to come in first in both the team and individual part of the tournament.

“This would be the first time in history for a team to win both events, and we want to make history,” Woodring said.

The team has proven that winning is what they do. They recently won the Kentucky Forensics Association Championship, placing first overall.

“The biggest reason behind our winning is our continual drive and team unity,” said David Burns, a sophomore from Dayton, Ohio.

He explained that the team has a mind set to sweep nationals, going above and beyond all other schools in the nation.

“The entire aspect of one team working towards the same goal is what makes doing this so worthwhile,” said Upton freshman Nicole Hawk.

Woodring?said the coaching the students receive also contributes to the team’s success.

“I give all the credit to the coaches,” she said.

The time and energy the team gives and the accountability the team has to each other are also influential factors.

Up next for the team will be the Delta Gamma Rho National Fraternal Competition, Saturday through Monday at Western. Woodring said that the team plans to defend its title.

To prepare for nationals, each member practices individually, Lebanon sophomore Rebecca Simms said. Members practice as a team three times a week and also have individual team meetings without the coaches.

Hawk said the hard work and team unity are why the team will bring home yet another trophy on March 10.

“We put in many hours of hard work, and the one thing we always try to do is keep a team and family atmosphere,” Eddyville freshman Jordon Wadlington said. “This keeps us close. The closer we are, the better we do.”

Reach Megan Engle at [email protected].