Students ‘Up ’til Dawn’ for kids

Megan Engle

From 7 p.m. to midnight on Friday, March 7, the fourth floor of Downing University Center was bustling with activity from people of all ages.

Some were tapping their feet and bobbing their heads to the Nashville band “Second Saturday,” while others were working up a sweat knocking down strikes in the bowling lanes.

Over 50 people came out to be a part of this “Up ’til Dawn” celebration.

“Up ’til Dawn” is a celebration of the donations that campus organizations raised for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. It is a student-led, student-run event hosted by colleges and universities nationwide.

“I thinks it’s a great fund raiser, and I’m glad we have a part in something as meaningful as this,” said Gene Tice, vice president of Student Affairs and Campus Services. “It’s a good time.”

As the clock struck midnight, it was announced that Western raised $3,894.75. The money will go toward furthering research for St. Jude, as well as toward the cost of surgeries for patients.

Katie Staples, leadership and volunteerism coordinator, said that some organizations began raising money at the beginning of the fall semester.

Rodes-Harlin Hall participated and raised the most money, totaling $1,700.

“It’s so awesome. Our goal was $600,” said Glasgow junior and President of Rodes Hall council Kim Tharpe. “I can’t believe we surpassed our goal by that much. We put so much effort, and it’s great.”

Tharpe explained that the efforts of all the residents and resident assistants of Rodes is what made their success possible.

Bowling Green junior Anna Jones was the Rodes coordinator for raising money for St. Jude’s research and said she was “positively ecstatic” about the outcome.

“I think it turned out really well. We really appreciate all of the organizations that helped out,” Staples said. “And we are really pleased with the students that showed up or participated and showed support.”

As it drew closer to midnight, one activity seemed to be the most popular.

Students crowded around a table cluttered with construction paper, markers, scissors and rubber cement to make cards of all shapes, colors and sizes. The cards will be taken to the hospital, along with all the donations that were collected.

Students took time out of the celebration to focus on the real reason that brought them there: the children of St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.

“All you have to do is look at a sick child, and then you know how important it is to donate to this program,” said Erin Davis, evening programs coordinator.

Chi Omega and Kappa Delta sororities were among some of the organizations represented at the fund raiser.

“It’s important for St. Jude’s to do research,” said Midway sophomore Courtney Burge, a Chi Omega sister. “Everyone is affected by disease in some form or another, either by a family member or possibly a friend, and it’s important to keep the research going.”

Lexington sophomore Ashley Crawford, a member of Kappa Delta, said the KDs were all glad to be having a good time while raising money for St. Jude’s.

St. Jude Children’s Research continues to find cures for children with life-threatening illnesses, especially those with cancer. To find out more, visit their Web site at www.stjude.org.

Reach Megan Engle at [email protected].