Health Services will hold seminar on having a smart spring break

Meghan Nacke

Bowling Green sophomore Crystal Jones is already planning her spring break.

“I don’t know where I’m going, but I’m definitely getting as far away from here as I can,” Jones said. “I need to go somewhere warm.”

Many students like Jones are planning trips to the beach, but the staff at WKU Health Services hopes they will consider other things besides which swim suit to pack.

WKU Health Services is holding a workshop tomorrow night to inform students how to stay safe during spring break.

The workshop, “Have a SASSY Spring Break,” will be held at 6 p.m. in Downing University Center room 226.

“We will be addressing issues relevant to students, especially during spring break when so many people head for the beach,” said Kathryn Steward, health education coordinator for WKU Health Services and one of the organizers of the event.

SASSY is an acronym that stands for “Safety with Alcohol Sun and Sex Y?” Steward said the workshop will address issues like sun exposure, drinking and safe sex.

The workshop will also teach students to manage their money during the break.

“Every year, students go to the beach and spend all the money they brought with them and realize that they don’t have enough to make it back home,” Steward said.

Public health professor Cecilia Watkins said educating students on the effects of alcohol is important, especially before spring break.

“When people drink to much, their defenses go down. They choose to have unsafe sex, drink and drive, and make bad decisions,” Watkins said. “There are a lot of regrets that happen because of alcohol.”

Jennifer Newman, a sophomore from Brentwood, Tenn., is spending her spring break in Orlando.

Newman said she doesn’t have time to attend the workshop, but she is confident that she already knows how to take care of herself.

She said she will wear sun screen and drink responsibly.

“They probably won’t tell me anything I don’t already know,” Newman said.

Bowling Green sophomore Jennifer Andrews said she doesn’t plan to go because of time.

“I think it’s a valuable service,” Andrews said. “But at the same time, I think students are going to be students and disregard it anyway.”

For students who are unable to attend, Steward offered a few basic tips for having a safe break.

“The most important thing is not to leave any of your friends alone, and not to let anyone you know leave with strangers,” Steward said. “As with anything, moderation is key, especially with alcohol.”

Steward said that students should set limits for themselves before they go out so they don’t regret any decisions they make during the trip.

“Set limits for yourself while you are sober,” Steward said. “Make these limits known to your friends, and ask for their help in enforcing them.”