Club discusses literary topics

Laura Hagan

Every Wednesday, a group of about 30 Western students with a fetish for words and ideas spend their afternoon reading and writing.

As members of the English club, students discuss cultural events on campus and books they’re reading. They also participate in writing workshops.

“It is great to work with students who are enthusiastic about literature and writing and are willing to do those things outside of classes,” said English professor Ted Hovet, the club’s adviser.

Students do not have to be English majors or minors to join. The club encourages new people to come, Hovet said.

“New members have new ideas, and that keeps the club going,” he said.

Deborah Bassett, a senior from Gallatin, Tenn., and the club’s president, is not an English major. She said she likes to learn different writing styles and enjoys the laid back atmosphere of the club.

Louisville sophomore Marcellus Neel said he joined after seeing a flier from the club.

He said he has started to think about majoring in English because of his involvement with the club.

“Not only have I been awakened and able to read good literature, but the club has also helped improve my own writing,” Neel said.

The club’s main source of funding is a used book sale that is held every semester. It helps fund several events that include an open mic night at the library and movie screenings at Downing University Center.

Neel said the club is a good way to meet people.

“It is cool knowing there are others with your same interests that are as serious about it as you are,” he said.

Reach Laura Hagan at [email protected].