Nappy Roots tickets still available

Shawntaye Hopkins

Two thousand down. Two thousand to go.

With only two weeks remaining, 2,000 tickets have been sold for the Nappy Roots concert scheduled for Feb. 28 in Diddle Arena, said Bennie Beach, adviser for the Campus Activities Board.

But half of the original 4,000 tickets are still available.

Despite that, Beach and CAB members aren’t worried. They anticipate many students and other fans will buy tickets at the last minute.

“We’re expecting we’ll have a sell out crowd,” Beach said.

He said the tickets have mostly been sold to students, although he is unsure of the exact percentage sold.

CAB is paying the band $22,500 to come to Bowling Green.

The cost to attend is $15 for students and $20 for non-students. Tickets will be sold in Downing University Center room 326 until the day of the concert.

Beach said $15 is a reasonable price, and if students don’t show support for this concert there may not be another one for a while.

CAB concert chair Tony Davis, a Louisville senior, agreed.

“I’m very excited about this,” Davis said. “It’s going to be the indicator of if we can have programs like this in the future.”

Many students purchased tickets last April for a Nappy Roots show that was canceled due to rain. This is the first time the band will perform in Bowling Green since that show.

Still, some students are unsure how many of their peers will show up for the concert.

Louisville sophomore Brooke Warren said she would like to attend, but she doesn’t know what her work schedule will be that night.

She said several students may not attend due to prior commitments, a low budget and the desire to go home on the weekends.

“I can see a lot of people from Bowling Green [attending] but not a lot from the student body,” she said.

But some students, like Louisville sophomore DeWayne Harris, are anxiously awaiting Nappy Roots’ return to the Hill.

“I like [Nappy Roots],” he said. “They worked hard to get where they got, and they deserve a nice turnout.”

BEGINITALReach Shawntaye Hopkins at [email protected].