Student’s not in love with Cupid

Cassie Riley

Tomorrow is Valentine’s Day, a day when most people feel they should love and be loved. But there are some that aren’t particularly fond of this “special” day.

Some Western students have found interesting reasons for not liking the holiday.

Louisville freshman Blake Napper said there’s an obvious reason not to like Valentine’s Day.

“I don’t get off school for Valentine’s Day,” he said. “Maybe I’d like it if I could get out of school.”

It’s a holiday “where guys have to buy stuff for girls” and never get anything in return, Napper said.

“Girls are evil,” he said with a laugh.

While some reasons for not liking the “love” holiday may be slightly laughable, some are more serious.

Lexington freshman Courtney Wright said she doesn’t like the holiday because of its economic background.

“It was invented by Hallmark to gain a profit,” she said. “To make money off of people’s infatuations and love.”

But Wright said she still participates.

“I will send Valentines to my friends. I think that everybody deserves to feel special at least one day a year,” she said. “But I didn’t get my cards from Hallmark.”

Columbia sophomore Tiffany Francingues said while she doesn’t celebrate Valentine’s Day, she has different reasons than most other people for not doing so.

Francingues said she doesn’t participate in Valentine’s Day because of its origin.

“I found that the actual origins of Valentine’s Day don’t have anything to do with what we commonly associate with it,” she said.

According to Francingues’ research, Valentine’s Day originated from a Roman holiday called Lupercalia held in honor of the gods and goddesses.

“I feel that it dishonors God,” she said.

Instead of trying to fit all her love for others into one day, Francingues said she takes a different approach.

“I try to express my love every day of the year,” she said.

Reach Cassie Riley at [email protected].