Broken hearts can be mended

Lindsay Sainlar

For some, Valentine’s Day is a holiday created for lovers to swoon over each other and exchange boxes of chocolate. For those without a significant other, it can be a day of heartbreak.

Musical artists throughout time have written and performed songs about such heartbreak.

Mariah Carey, in conjunction with Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, sang about her broken heart in the 1997 song “Breakdown.”

“So what do you do when somebody you’re devoted to suddenly just stops loving you?” Carey sang.

Western students like Hardinsburg sophomore Lynn Critchelow said they would react in various ways if faced with heartbreak.

“I would send myself stuff, but if I were really sad, I’d probably just sit at home and cry,” Critchelow said.

Journalism professor Paula Quinn suggests an alternative to crying: “aura healing.”

Quinn said that during the course of a relationship, the auras of two individuals blend. Many people feel distraught after a break up because their auras have physically been torn apart, she said.

Quinn estimates that it takes about two years to get over a long relationship. She said that with proper use of aura cleansing, the recovery process will hasten, though.

“You have to trust that it will work,” Quinn said.

The proper way to mend a torn aura is to very slowly and gently take the flat of one’s hand and smooth it an inch away from the body, over one’s energy field, Quinn said.

One should move the hand from top to bottom and pay close attention to the heart while emphasizing the left side of the body, she said. She warned not to forget the right side, though, because balance is important.

“Do this every time you feel a heart ache,” Quinn said. “It really works.”

While some dwell on the fact that they don’t have a significant other, for others it is not a concern.

Louisville sophomore Stephanie Brown said that this is only the second time she has had a boyfriend on Valentine’s Day. But she never minded the lack of a boyfriend on the most romantic day of the year.

“I’ve always just gone out with my girlfriends to places like Shogun or watched a really terrible chick flick like ‘When Harry Met Sally’,” she said.

Louisville sophomore Christina Valdez said she questions the emphasis people place on Valentine’s Day.

“The whole nation just participates in this Hallmark-made holiday,” Valdez said. “People in and out of relationships tend to build up Valentines day with expectations that are hard to meet.”

For those with a broken heart on the “most romantic day of the year,” psychology professor Rick Grieve recommends not dwelling on events that led to the break up.

“I would do things to get my mind off it,” said Grieve. He suggested heartbroken students occupy their time with activities, such as: exercising, playing computer games or reading.

Ruth Westheimer, psychosexual therapist and host of the Sunday Night Sex Show on the Oxygen channel, said on her Web site that it is important for the heartbroken to learn to trust again.

“While you will never forget what happened, it’s also important to be able to set it aside and go on from there,” Westheimer said during an episode of her show.

Reach Lindsay Sainlar at [email protected]