Seminary president to speak tonight

Lindsay Sainlar

In a nation with many different religions, R. Albert Mohler Jr. , one of the country’s most conservative evangelical figures, is coming to the Hill to share his answer to a controversial question — Is Jesus the only way to God?

Campus Crusade for Christ has brought Mohler, president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, to speak at 8 tonight in the Downing University Center Theater.

Thomas Weakley, director of Campus Crusade for Christ, said he tried for nine months to get Mohler to speak at Western, but had to work around Mohler’s schedule, which includes frequent appearances on “Larry King Live,” “The O’Reilly Factor” and Phil Donahue.

Weakley said Mohler has become the unofficial spokesman for conservative Christianity, which is the belief that the Bible is true and accurate, and that Jesus is the only son of God. Other Christians believe that there are other ways to heaven besides following the Bible literally.

“He’s a very brilliant person,” Weakley said. “I’ve been with him at meetings. He’s very gracious and trying.”

Mohler, a native of Lakeland, Florida, has a Bachelor’s degree from Samford University in Birmingham, Ala., and a Master’s degree and a Ph.D from Southern Seminary. As a student at Southern Seminary, he served as an assistant to President Roy Honeycutt, who he later succeeded.

Mohler makes several speaking appearances every year. Louisville sophomore Dan Schreiner said he has heard Mohler speak.

“He knows his stuff,” Schreiner said. “The cool thing about him is that he knows both sides, sometimes he knows the opposing side better than they do.”

Schreiner said he recommends anyone to come and hear Mohler tonight.

“He’s very well known, and you don’t always get this opportunity,” Schreiner said. “It will be very interesting.”

After his speech, Mohler will be available to answer questions.

Reach Lindsay Sainlar at [email protected]