Letters to the editor

Anti-war protesters were wrong

Snow had fallen to cover the colored chalk showcasing an unwanted war, but the message still lay beneath.

I question whether the anti-war protesters at last week’s Martin Luther King Jr. parade understand what would happen if America made a weak impression in the face of a country like Iraq. In order for America to survive, we must have strong forces, or at least the presence of one.

In a letter to the editor, Jane Olmsted, director of Women’s Studies, expressed her feelings about the march that took place on MLK Day. She was asked to move to the end of the parade by an African-American woman who obviously upset her.

Olmsted went on to explain that she should be allowed to march because King was an anti-war advocate.

Although this is true, King was not opposed to a country defending itself, he was opposed to the war in Vietnam. King opposed the Vietnam War because it was a civil war that would not be resolved through our interference.

I personally am ashamed of Olmsted and the other protesters that crashed the parade without any regard for those there in King’s memory.

Our possible war with Iraq is entirely different from Vietnam, and we should not get the two confused.

Tonya Shur

Bowling Green sophomore

Western should have canceled classes

I am curious what it takes for Western to call off classes or at least delay them.

Last Thursday, it was not only 7 degrees outside with the wind chills in the single digits, but snow was also covering the street.

I think these conditions were too hazardous for students to be going to class. In my three years at Western, they have called off school once, and that was only after a student lost his life.

If you look at other universities across the state, they have no problem calling off or delaying classes.

What is Western’s problem? I think someone needs to reevaluate what conditions are for all students and then make the decision to cancel classes.

Ashley Roberson

Richmond junior

Appalled by Western’s parking situation

As I maneuvered my car into the Diddle lot Thursday morning, I knew finding a parking spot wouldn’t be easy.

But for the first time in six years on the Hill, I was appalled about the parking situation. I’ve never seen such pathetic, desperate attempts at parking automobiles in my life.

As I squeezed my car through a lane, which was only about as wide as my little Honda, I stopped. The girl in front of me stepped out of her car and said, “There’s no one in that truck!” and pointed to the red vehicle in front of her. That’s right, someone decided to park in the middle of an aisle.

I mumbled obscenities and suppressed the murderous rage to smash the truck’s window. I walked down the row of cars behind me, passing on the info to other drivers while my roommate called Public Safety, who claimed they could do nothing. Oh really? Isn’t that Public Safety’s purpose — to give tickets and tow vehicles?

While the other drivers continued to circle the lot, I left and parked in the almost empty Russellville Road lot. To my surprise, everyone had managed to park like sane beings.

I suppose everyone is desperate to get that close spot, despite the availability and ease of parking in other lots.

Thanks, but I’ll walk the extra five minutes if it means I get to keep my sanity and I’m able to pull my car out of the space once I’m ready to leave.

Angela S. Weisser

Louisville graduate student

Western shouldn’t track students’ Internet usage

It has come to my attention that Western has decided to start tracking the Internet usage of all its students.

The problem with this is that it is a heinous invasion of our privacy. No matter what we do or where we go, we will be tracked and recorded.

The worst part in this is that the school will be asking for every student to register their computer with their school e-mail address and the password for that account. But most students have never thought to change their e-mail password, and the default password is their ID number, which happens to be their Social Security number.

Not only will Western have our name and e-mail address stored, but they will also have our Social Security number. If you register your computer and someone else gets on it after you’ve registered and proceeds to break one of the very vague restrictions, then it is you who gets busted, not the person who used your computer.

I would like to inform everybody that this is a very serious threat to our privacy and society. If we let this go, then who knows what else the school will do to us or what other restrictions it will place on us.

I am going to make a stand and say that I refuse to register my computer because what I do is my business and no one else’s.

Devin Wirth

Louisville sophomore

Where were the students?

As I sat in Diddle Arena on Saturday, Jan. 18, “Where are the students?” was a commonly-heard question.

Over 2,000 people came out to show their support for the Western football team, but only about 200 of them were students.

First, let me thank those who showed up on a cold, snowy Saturday to recognize our national champion football team. I know the players and coaches appreciated the support.

But to the student body at Western, just a little reminder, in case you forgot: We have a national champion football team.

Do you not have any pride? Do you not have any respect for the 90 guys who work their tails off year-round to represent our university?

These men put their hearts, souls and bodies into our university, and this is how we repay them. I have seen hundreds of students with national championship T-shirts, but where were you during the celebration?

We should all be basking in the glory of our first national championship. This is our university and our team.

The ceremony is over. The only way the student body can now make this up to our football team is to show them we really do care. Tell them how proud of them we really are. Tell them we appreciate the hard work they put into representing our university. And in September, when the gates at Smith Stadium open, fill that place with students who are truly supporting our football team.

And don’t forget: We are national champions.

Lori Martin

Columbia senior