Letters to the Editor

Kudos for “A Chorus Line”

The Western and Warren County communities are very fortunate to have so much student talent on Western’s campus. Western students not only excel in the classroom, succeed on the athletic fields and floors, and dazzle in forensics, but after seeing “A Chorus Line” Sunday before a sold out crowd, you can mark with a capital “T” the tantalizing talent and performance of our Theatre and Dance students.

The standing ovation given members of the cast was well deserved and an accurate reflection of the hard work and effort most certainly devoted in putting together such a first-class musical presentation. For two and a half hours I literally forgot I was in Bowling Green. Instead, it felt as if I was in New York or Chicago watching a Broadway production.

Kudos for all the students, faculty, and staff who had a hand in “A Chorus Line.” Not only did you do yourselves proud, you also reflected positively to thousands of community members about the first class quality of programming this institution is producing. Thanks and great work.

Wood Selig

Athletics Director

Find a bigger venue

To the Campus Activites Board:

Bring Nappy Roots back to Western. Bring any and every entertainer that you can get your hands on. But on behalf of myself and the hundreds who stood out in the cold for hours to see Jim Breuer this past Thursday night, only to be told that we weren’t getting in, please find a venue that can accommodate everyone. An 800-seat theater just doesn’t cut it when you bring a nationally known comedian to our campus. I understand that you had to fit the date into his schedule, and that other venues (i.e. Van Meter) were already booked, but not everyone can get in line for an 8 p.m. show at 4 in the afternoon. If you happen to get Nappy Roots to add us to their campus tour, keep a few things in mind:

1. They are extremely popular – find a place big enough for everybody, or expect a riot.

2. If you’re worried about rain at an outdoors concert, find a venue that has a roof . maybe an ARENA?

3. Closed-circuit television and a few strategically placed big-screens. If you can’t get everyone to the show, then give us the next best thing.

Finally, to the lucky 800 who got to see Jim Breuer, congrats. For the rest of us, better luck next time I guess.

Josh James

Bowling Green junior

War hurts more than just U.S.

I am a bit amused about the articles I have been reading lately in the Herald. It seems that there are a lot of students and even professors who are asking us to give peace a chance. I would just like to state that they’re right, we should be giving peace a chance.

However, I would like to ask them one thing. How can they be such hypocrites? They talk about how we should avoid spilling the blood of our men and women in uniforms and how we should avoid war because of the innocent men, women and children who inevitably die in the conflict.

Well what about all those innocent men and women of China who are sentenced to death because their government won’t let them practice a religion of their own?

What about the innocent men and women of Cuba who seem to magically disappear when they voice dissent about their government?

What about the people of Iraq who are led into polling places with soldiers standing right there at the entrance, and asked to vote on how they think their leader doing?

Of course Hussein is going to get a 100 percent of the vote. He keeps his people in total fear of him.

What about the innocent men, women and children of Sept. 11 who died just because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time?

None of the people above deserved to die or live in fear. We have the world’s greatest military. It is set up in a way that it can deliver the most devastating blow with one hand and offer a helping hand with the other.

As I stated at the beginning of the letter, I would like to give peace a chance. But history has shown if you’re going to accomplish something it is best to use both hands!

Richard Walters

Lexington sophomore

Parking still terribleM

I woke up this morning and thought “It’s that time again.” Time to move my car out of Grise parking lot, where it has been sitting all night, and find a parking spot designated for students before I get a ticket. After my third time cruising the parking structure, I came to the conclusion that limited parking isn’t just a nuisance anymore, it is a major problem at Western.

I know that this problem is not new. But with all the money my fellow students and I pay in tuition, fees and a parking permit, we should be able to always find a parking spot. The most convenient parking spots are reserved for faculty, staff and Western vehicles. But without the students, there would be no Western Kentucky University.

Where are our convenient spots? Maybe professors should get a taste of what is it like having to park on campus as a student in 2002. I would like to imagine seeing my instructors having to hike up from Egypt lot to their offices and classrooms on the top of the hill.

If having all the worst spots on campus is not enough, the spots we do have are being slowly taken over by Western official vehicles.

They have their own designated spots in the parking structure, yet they park in the student parking spots.

A university should be dedicated to its students. With all the money we pay, there needs to be compensation other than a great education. Instead of investing millions in renovations to our basketball arena, Western should spend some of our cash to add to the parking structure or to build another one. This parking situation is getting ridiculous.

Elizabeth Gholami

Louisville sophomore