SGA reallocates gazebo money

Cassie Riley

The Student Government Association passed a bill last week allowing $4,500 it had previously set aside for a gazebo to be used to buy outdoor furniture for the Downing University Center.

The money will be used for eight new benches, three trash cans and three cigarette receptacles that will be placed between DUC and Minton Hall.

The new furniture will feature rubber coated steel. SGA plans to purchase the furniture from Armor Coat Outdoor Furniture Company.

Nick Todd, head of SGA’s campus improvements committee, helped author the bill.

“I noticed the outside seating area wasn’t in good condition,” he said.

Todd said when he approached Facilities Management Manager Greg Fear with the idea, Fear was “absolutely pleased.”

“We’re very appreciative of SGA partnering with us on this,” said Doug Ault, Facilities Management director.

Facilities Management does not allot money for outdoor improvements like new furniture, he said. The department depends on other sources for such improvements, including graduating classes and organizations such as SGA.

In order to pay for the company to install the furniture, the campus improvements committee will have to ask for an additional $745 from SGA.

Todd said he will request the extra funding during tonight’s SGA meeting.

He said if the campus improvements committee is able to get the extra money, the furniture will be available to students within four days after SGA orders the new seating. If the extra money is not available, Western will be responsible for the installation of the furniture.

If that becomes a reality, the furniture may not be in place until next semester.

The new benches will replace the old concrete seating in the area between DUC and Minton, with four benches being placed on each side of the courtyard. The new trash cans and cigarette receptacles will also be placed on each side of the area between the two buildings.

The new furniture is part of a campus-wide beautification project by SGA which included the recently finished picnic areas in front of Pearce-Ford Tower and in the Valley.

According to Ault, future plans for the beautification project may include upgrades to the areas in front of Garrett Center and Van Meter Hall, where the staircase may be rebuilt.

Reach Cassie Riley at [email protected].