Nappy Roots may perform at Western

Cassie Riley

After rain cut short their show last year at the Corvette Museum, members of the rap group Nappy Roots say they want to come back to Bowling Green to perform in front of a hometown crowd.

Many Western students were angered last year when the group’s show, arranged by a local concert promoter, was rained out. Fans weren’t given a refund or a rain check for their tickets.

Nappy Roots will perform at a number of college campuses this year, including Kentucky State, Morehead State, Kentucky and Eastern. They say that if given the opportunity, they want to perform at Western.

“It’d almost be like coming home,” said group member “Skinny DeVille,” whose real name is Saan Hughes.

Hughes said Nappy Roots proposed a plan to the Campus Activities Board to perform at Homecoming this year, but Western was unable to provide a proper venue.

CAB chair John Bradley said Western lacked the proper indoor facility for a Nappy Roots concert during Homecoming.

Bradley said Nappy Roots requested between $20,000 and $25,000 for a performance at Homecoming. He said CAB considered holding the group’s concert at the Colonnade, but feared the show would rain out.

Despite its inability to bring Nappy Roots to Western this fall, Bradley said the organization is making an attempt to schedule the group in the spring.

“Nappy Roots is certainly an option,” he said.

Bennie Beach, student activities and organizations coordinator, said money has been set aside in CAB’s budget for such a venture. He said it was unfortunate that Nappy Roots couldn’t come to Western this semester.

“We’ve been trying for a long time,” Beach said.

He said the biggest hurdle now is to find a date, and a venue, for the concert that meshes with Nappy Roots’ schedule. Because of the ongoing Diddle renovation, larger events hosted by CAB would be held in the Garrett Center Ballroom.

Beach said the ballroom is a difficult place to schedule an event because the facility is regularly booked.

Hughes said Nappy Roots’ schedule is full through December.

“We wish we could have done it this year,” he said. “We would love to do it in Diddle.”

Hughes said if Nappy Roots does come to Western next semester, students and other spectators can look forward to an entertaining show.

He said the group’s concerts feature mixed tracks from their current album, “Watamelon, Chicken and Gritz,” and some new tracks from the album they plan to begin recording in January.

In addition to musical guests like Nappy Roots, CAB also plans to bring in lecturers and comedians.

Comedian Jim Breuer from Saturday Night Live and the movie, “Half Baked” will perform at 8 tonight in the Downing University Center Theater .

Reach Cassie Riley at [email protected].