Student with 5 pounds of marijuana busted for trafficking

Joe Lord

A student was arrested in Pearce-Ford Tower’s lobby Friday after he received a package containing 5 pounds of marijuana.

Blake Lovan, a freshman from Old Hickory, Tenn., has been charged with trafficking 5 or more pounds of marijuana, a class C felony that carries a penalty of 5 to 10 years in prison.

He was released Saturday from Warren County Regional Jail on a $5,000 surety bond.

Tommy Loving, director of the Bowling Green-Warren County Drug Task Force, said the unit is continuing the investigation. The arrest was made in conjunction with campus police and a U.S. Postal Inspector. Loving would not say from where the package was sent or if the arrest was part of an undercover investigation.

According to a campus police report, the package delivered to PFT Friday was addressed to Lovan.

When contacted in his room yesterday, Lovan said the package he received Friday belonged to a friend.

“I didn’t know what it was,” he said.

Loving wouldn’t say whether the friend was under investigation.

But Lovan said his friend was expecting the package early last week. His friend would be out of town and unable to get it, Lovan said.

The friend asked Lovan to accept the package in his place, he said.

Lovan said his friend called him at noon Friday from the PFT lobby and told him a postal worker might have just walked in with the package.

At that point, Lovan said, he left his room on the 20th floor and headed to the lobby. He said he briefly talked with his friend in the lobby before addressing the postal inspector about the package.

“I said ‘That package is for me,'” Lovan said.

According to a press release from the drug task force, the package Lovan accepted contained 5 pounds of marijuana, pressed into four bricks.

Lovan said he was arrested as soon as he signed for the package. He said he doesn’t know from whom or from where the package was sent.

“I was stupid enough to sign for it,” he said. “I guess I didn’t think he’d be mailing 5 pounds of marijuana.”

Lovan said he hasn’t spoken to his friend since the incident.

“I see him around,” he said.

Lovan said his court date is Oct. 21.

Reach Joseph Lord at [email protected].