Help for finding jobs lies right here on campus

Megan Engle

Jennifer Dragoo had been searching for a job on campus during her freshman year and had no idea where to start, until she heard about a program on campus called Career Services.

“Career Services helped me to build my resum?, my communication, my interview skills and improved my professionalism,” the Greenville senior said.

Located on the second floor of Helm Cravens Library, the center is used to assist students and alumni in getting jobs.

The Career Services Center has many free opportunities including self-assessment career exploration, choosing a major, finding part-time and summer positions, assistance with cooperative education and internship experience, assistance with permanent employment, as well as learning how to launch a job search including resum?s, cover letters and interviewing skills.

Dragoo is one of about 2,000 students that are on file and has used the center; that leaves a little over 15,000 students who don’t use this program or have never even heard of it.

“I’ve been trying to put my finger on a way to get the word out about the center, ever since I started working here,” Associate Director Bob Somers said.

Somers started working with Career Services in 1977 and sees about 300 to 400 students per semester to discuss career choices and to possibly discover additional career opportunities.

“This program has a lot of positives,” he said. “I enjoy the people I work with, and I certainly enjoy working with the students in devising opportunities for them to grow. It’s all kind of fun for me.”

Somers is one of the many counselors who assist students and alumni in deciding on a career path that best suits them. Each counselor specializes in a certain major and gives the students a better understanding of individual interests and abilities, as well as applying those to choosing and pursuing a career.

Morganfield senior Brooke Sanders first found out about Career Services online the summer before her freshman year. After getting involved, she decided to major in elementary education because of the guidance of career counselors and all the options Career Services has to offer, like inventories.

There are three different types of inventories, COPS Interest inventory, COPES Values inventory and CAPS Abilities inventory. All three give students a certain perspective of what field of work would suit them the best.

Associate Director Carol White said Career Services allows students to gain career experience through internships, finding permanent employment upon graduation and learning how to market oneself for employment.

“We can help students focus on career interests by use of online and hard copy career inventory as online and hard copy occupational and career information such as books, videos and brochures,” White said.

The center is the home of nine full-time members, five professional staff members and four support staff members, who all provide a complete range of services and materials in the area of career development, experimental education and job search planning.

For more information check out the Career Service Website at www.wku.edu/Info/Student/CareerServ/csweb/ or take advantage of the Career Services Center in Cravens Room 216, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.