Western, city to honor 9-11

One year after the attack on America, students and Bowling Green residents will come together tomorrow in remembrance of the one-year anniversary of Sept. 11.

Some will gather at candlelight vigils and mourn the loss of the thousands who died in the worst terrorist attack in U.S. history.

Others will hold moments of silence and think back to the day that changed the lives of so many.

And they will all remember.

•Western will hold a community-wide 9/11 remembrance ceremony at 7:30 a.m. tomorrow on campus on the front lawn of the Kentucky Building.

Earlene Chelf, marketing and special events coordinator for Western Libraries and the Kentucky Museum, said she is hoping the event will be a time when people can take the time needed to reflect on the events of Sept. 11.

“We really hope we’ll have a tremendous turnout,” Chelf said.

•At 8 a.m. at Warren Central High School, the Warren Central ROTC will conduct a flag-raising ceremony.

•At 9 a.m. at the Moltenberry Fire Station at 701 E. 7th St., the Bowling Green Fire Department and the Bowling Green Police Department will hold a remembrance ceremony in honor of police and fire personnel who died as they tried to help workers from the two towers.

•At 10:15 a.m. at Riverfront Park and at 11:30 a.m. at Basil W. Griffin, Jr. Park, the Woodmen of the World will erect a flagpole and raise a flag in each of the two ceremonies. The flagpoles and flags were donated by the organization.

•At 5 p.m. the Bowling Green Human Rights Commission is sponsoring a”Walk Against Hate” that will begin at the Warren County Justice Center and end at Fountain Square Park with a ceremony at 5:30 p.m.

•At 7 p.m., a number of churches in Bowling Green and Warren County will present the musical “Sweet Land of Liberty at the Corvette Museum.

•Also at 7 p.m., Rodes-Harlin Hall will hold a candlelight ceremony on the front porch of the dorm.

•At 9:11 p.m. at the Guthrie Bell Tower, the Delta Sigma Theta sorority and the Omega Psi Phi fraternity will have a candlelight vigil.

•At 8:30 p.m. Thursday, at Downing University Center theater, Campus Crusade for Christ is sponsoring a visit by guest speaker Michael Anthony

Chelf said the events on campus and in Bowling Green will give students the opportunity to look to Western and the city for ways to remember, reflect and discuss the events of last year.

“We want to show we are resilient,” Chelf said.

Reach Molly O’Connor at [email protected].