Letters to the editor

KKK coverage not sensitive to minorities

I was bothered by how the Herald covered the story (“KKK rally and counter-rally this weekend,” Aug.29). It just seemed as if the Herald was not concerned with how students – especially those outside the Caucasian race/Christianity religion – would react to such an article. I know the key to being a good reporter is to remain objective and keep away from bias, but honestly, I think this article would have been better as a column. Every student on Western’s campus should know how idiotic it is to have a rally based on blind hatred towards a human being because of race.

Amber North

Nashville freshman

Students not alone in parking crunch

After reading the letters about the parking problem on campus, I just wanted to point out that many instructors and staff members have the same complaints. Not all of us have reserved spots or permits for gated lots. I paid $65 dollars for an outer-loop “hunting license” similar to the one students buy. The work day starts at 8 a.m. but most of us are forced to be here by 7:15 or 7:30 hoping to find a parking spot. If we happen to arrive after 7:30, most of our spots are taken by students running late for class and we have to make that same 30 minute hike up the hill from commuter lots. I see cars with NO student OR (faculty/staff)permit in our lots and I wonder why I bothered to buy a permit.

Many staff members have to do errands for the office and dread leaving campus because we know there will be no spot when we return. I personally already have a parking ticket this semester for “creating my own spot” in the pit, but I don’t see tickets on the windshields of cars with no permit parked in the lot I pay for.

It’s a problem we all complain about every semester, but this semester is the worst yet. But don’t suggest we “walk a mile in your shoes” and try parking in the back or beyond, because we already do.

Sherry Compton

Office Assistant

Journalism and Broadcasting

‘Pet projects’ improving campus

I am concerned when I see statements and opinions that come from a lack of information. John Baize’s Letter to the Editor (“Stop funding pet projects,” Aug. 29) is symptomatic of misperceptions and assumptions concerning many things on this campus. However, in this forum I will address the six he mentioned.

1 & 2. Diddle Memorial Park and the Guthrie Tower were constructed with private funds donated for those specific projects. It wasn’t an option to use the money for something else.

3. Diddle Arena has barely been touched, much less renovated, in the 40 years since it was constructed. It is beneficial to the entire university and community to have such a public facility in respectable and modern condition.

4. The fencing on University Boulevard is aesthetically pleasing and was in part paid for by private giving. It also protects students by feeding them to crosswalks that were ignored before the fencing was constructed.

5. I don’t know to which faculty parking lot Mr. Baize was referring. However, that’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone complain about additional spaces.

6. Mr. Baize apparently does not understand that Pepsi is paying Western to be here, not the other way around.

All of these projects bring value to the Western experience of students, faculty and visitors alike. You only get one chance to make a first impression. Western’s impression is improving thanks to Mr. Baize’s “pet projects” and many others.

William Skaggs

Assistant Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving

Intramurals deserve coverage

I am writing in response to the letter written last Tuesday concerning the Herald and Intramural Sports and Activities (“Herald ignores intramurals,” Aug. 27). I would agree, as any faithful WKU student would, that Western’s sports teams deserve coverage in the Herald. This is not the point. My point is that these athletes make up a small percentage of the student population and the Herald’s readership. As interested in Western athletics as I might be, I would have to say that I would be more interested in sports that I was a part of. It would seem in the Herald’s best interest to include some stories weekly that concern activities that involve a very significant percentage of the student body: WKU Intramural Sports and Activities.

Josh Mitcham

Webster senior