Letters to the editor

Clarify the alcohol policy

As I sat in my oh-so-comfortable chair at the McLean Hall front desk last Saturday, I held a copy of Hilltopics in one hand and scratched my head with the other. You see, as a Resident Assistant, it is not only my job to program and connect with students in my hall, but it is also my job to enforce the policies set forth by my bosses in Housing and Residence Life and the upper administration of this university. I am writing, I confess, because I no longer know how to do my job. I still enjoy my job and the connections that it gives me, but alas, I can no longer discern which policies are worth enforcing and which don’t really mean a thing.

I have spent my time and effort enforcing a zero-tolerance alcohol policy on Western’s campus. It is a policy that has called me from a blissful slumber more than once. It has interrupted my studies and has forced me to repeat to my girlfriend on numerous occasions, “Baby, I have to go, it’s my job.” It has forced me to be a jerk and, believe it or not, made me more than a few enemies.

I am therefore writing for clarification on the “zero tolerance” alcohol policy on campus. In the student handbook it clearly states that alcohol is not allowed on campus. This policy was clearly tossed aside in lieu of the football game, as many tailgaters found their way to McLean’s front lawn and lobby, open containers well in hand. I made no enemies of these people because I was advised to let it slide, thereby doing something that would probably cost me my job on any other day of the week. It is in the spirit of keeping my job that I ask for clarity. Obviously the policy is ignored when the pigskin begins to fly, so then is the policy also suspended for flag football games? Or does the policy change just for campus-wide programs? I’m sure Topper Talk Live and Shantytown would also benefit from this laissez-faire policy – both the attendance and enjoyment at said programs would surely increase. I might finally get 100 percent attendance at a floor meeting if I start mixing drinks.

Is it ever OK, then, to light a candle in the residence halls? Have a gun? Smoke crack? Just because “Friends” is on, is that permission to light up a blunt? If the alcohol policy is suspended four hours prior to kick off, exactly when does it kick back in?

I have been told in the past that my position qualifies me as a university official and thus, responsible for its policies 24 hours a day, seven days a week. I don’t care which way the policy goes, be it allowing alcohol completely or banning it all together, but the situational ethics of this university make the policy difficult to understand and thus difficult to enforce.

It is ultimately irrelevant which policy is chosen, just quit asking me to enforce a policy that is only in effect when the university isn’t profiting off of it. I’m not preaching to ban alcohol or allow it, I’m simply asking university officials to quit wasting my time.

Jason Brown

Louisville junior

“African-American activists have gone too far.”

After reading the editorial “Shepard’s courage an inspiration,” I began to think about how overblown the issue on discrimination against blacks has gotten. African-American activists have gone way too far. Ms. Shepard got the attention she wanted, but I believe that’s the only reason she went to the Klan rally. The article said she began to cry when she heard the word “nigger” used at the Klan rally. I’m willing to bet that Ms. Shepard or anyone at the Herald sheds a tear every time one of their favorite vulgar, useless rappers says the n-word.

African-American activists are nothing but crybabies. If they want to put an end to the N-word, maybe they should start amongst themselves. If I didn’t want to be called whitey, I wouldn’t refer to myself and all of my friends as whitey. I wouldn’t drive around campus blaring music that says whitey every other word. If black activists want to stand up against the N-word and cry every time they hear it, they should stop using it themselves. Ms. Shepard was no hero or great inspiration at all. A real hero doesn’t do things for attention, they do something because it is right.

Blacks will never forget about slavery. Slavery was practiced worldwide and viewed as an economic issue, not a racial one. What black activists don’t know is that whites and blacks should be blamed for slavery. White traders bought slaves from African traders who willingly sold their brothers into slavery by the millions. Free blacks also owned slaves.

These days whites should be the ones complaining. Where are our free scholarships, white American studies classes and affirmative action? Why can’t I get a job over someone because of my color? I hate this discrimination. I’m sure I could muster up a tear for you at the Herald to write a story about. I hope Ms. Shepard has a quick recovery from the “sting” of the N-word.

Joshua Britt

Franklin sophomore

All Greeks do community service

I am writing in response to the article in Tuesday’s edition about the new service sorority, Gamma Sigma Sigma. First of all, I think that it is a great organization that does a lot to benefit the community. However, I feel that the article implied that the other 24 Greek social organizations on campus are just that – social organizations that do little more than party every weekend. This is simply not true.

As the philanthropy chair of Sigma Kappa, I ensure that every sister performs 15 hours of service per semester. This is roughly the same amount the Gamma Sigma Sigma’s must perform. All of the sororities on campus have specific charities that they support, and each group has an event to raise money for that philanthropy. This month alone, Alpha Omicron Pi sponsors its annual Mud Volleyball Tournament to raise money for Arthritis, and Sigma Kappa hosts their annual Greek God and Goddess Pageant to benefit Alzheimer’s research.

Although it is often overlooked, social sororities offer the bonds of sisterhood, the skills of time management and the various services we provide to the community, albeit having a good time in the process. In these ways, sororities create well-rounded young women with the ability to make a difference in the world.

Morgan McLaughlin

Shelbyville sophomore

Bring back nuggets

What’s in a name? Better yet, how about a meal? I’m sure I’m not the only one who was surprised to learn that the microscopic “pebbles” of chicken that Chick-Fil-A calls “nuggets” are no longer available to meal plan holders as part of the meal plan.

So what’s the deal? Am I the only person who thinks that meal plan holders should have the same dining options that were available when they purchased the meal plan? Most of all, if Chick-Fil-A felt the need to minimize its meal plan options to just a chicken sandwich, it needs to change its sign that day so unsuspecting people don’t have to face the embarrassment of not having extra money at the register.

Whatever reasons Chick-Fil-A had for making this utter mistake, they will only be forgiven if they bring back the nuggets or another selection to fill the void of our hearts and our stomachs.

Sarah Ward

Owensboro freshman