I Salute Joshua Britt

[email protected]

TO THE HERALD: I have already sent in the following letter in support of Joshua Britt’s stated position. I could not help but notice the fact that while you all were willing to print no less than 5 lengthy dissenting responses by black students in regard to Mr Britt’s letter, you could not manage to print 1 solitary letter supporting Mr Britt. You all instead dissected and censored parts of my letter, even omitting my heading, and put it on the website where few will see it. Now I ask you, nay, I challenge you: Is censorship now permissible when the opinion in question is “non-PC”? Where is that much vaunted journalistic objectivity and integrity?You all have more than (over) covered one side’s position, so why not the other? And why the censorship of parts of my letter?The lengthy responses to Mr Britt’s letter in the Sept 19 issue occupied the entire page, so it cannot be mere length that kept my letter out of print. What was it then, that did? The following is my letter in its ENTIRETY. I CHALLENGE you all as serious, professional,”objective” journalists to print my letter unaltered in its ENTIRETY.

I would first like to begin this little letter by saluting Joshua Britt for taking a stand. To write something of that nature in this day and age takes quite a bit of courage and not inconsiderable fortitude. I only wish I had sent such a letter myself. I believe what Mr Britt expressed in his letter is a result of the pent-up frustration and alienation that many European-Americans, especially heterosexual males, feel as a result of the myriad forms of reverse discrimination found on television, in the classroom,and in the workplace.White Americans are compelled to “tread on egg shells” lest we offend a “minority’s” sensibilities. Here at WKU, there is an entire DEPARTMENT set aside for the benefit of “minority” (black) students. There are fraternities and sororities which are solely for black students. Hypothetically, should White students, Heaven forbid, ever attempt to take part in, or form a White organization such as the previously mentioned black frats and sororities, imagine the immediate recriminations, and cries of “racism”. Are wholly black organizations not “racist”, then, by the same principle? “Black pride” is ok, but not White? Such is the source of frustration that Mr Britt has given voice to. I now turn to address the persons who put in their 2 cents in response to Mr Britt’s letter. It seems to me that on the rare occasion any black individual or enterprise is criticized, than said criticism is frequently labled “discrimination” or “racism”, actual nature of that criticism notwithstanding. I reiterate what Mr Britt said: the claims by some black individuals of “discrimination” and “racism” is overblown, and in many cases, laughable. Indeed, the NAACP should be glad that such little KKK splinter groups still exist, as that seemingly justifies its own existence, and keeps those donations from mostly wealthy White Americans and corporations rolling in. Indeed, it is quite the spectacle how we Whites bend over backwards to avoid that most feared of labels, the big “R” word. Celebrate your history,but don’t force it on the rest of us to whom it doesn’t apply. Slavery was bad, granted. Key word:WAS. It no longer exists here,though there is still quite a thriving flesh trade going on in Africa to this day.For those slave descendents that harbor a “grudge” over that unfortunate period of American history,I suggest you take your grievances to the cemetary, because that’s where those who were responsible for slavery currently reside. My own, and most White peoples’ ancestors did not own slaves anyway. With scholarships being awarded on the basis of “skin color”, and whole academic departments and TV channels devoted to you all, how can you really look anyone straight in the face and say you are “oppressed”, or “discriminated” against? If anything, “discrimination” exists in your FAVOR.If you want true “equality” as you say, than you should eschew “affirmative action”, “minority” scholarships, and organizations like the NAACP. Stand on your own merit. That is TRUE equality. Everyone is equal under the law of this land. Why the need for more “Civil Rights” activism? Is true equality the goal of such activism, or preferential treatment? Zak Cummins Princeton KY sophamore 745-4802