Campus radio station increases wattage

Amy Roberts

Western students, as well as residents in surrounding areas, have a new reason to turn on the radio. The campus radio station, 91.7 WWHR-FM The Revolution, has increased its wattage and added new features.

The jump in wattage from 100 watts to 1300 watts – recently approved by the Federal Communications Commission – will allow the station to be heard by more listeners. The station’s tower, which was moved from the Academic Complex to a location near Natcher Parkway, can now transmit radio signals as far as 30 miles, station manager Dan Gaddie said.

In the past, WWHR could only be heard by students and Bowling Green residents.

“What this all means is more voice for the students,” Journalism and Broadcasting instructor Marjorie Yambor said. The station will broadcast continuously.

Gaddie said the recent station expansion has been beneficial to disc jockeys who work there.

“I’ve never seen so much excitement out of the DJs before,” Gaddie said. “The number of phone call requests alone have been more each day than we’d have in a whole week in the past.”

Frankfort senior Dylan Paul, a DJ and public relations manager for the station, said WWHR plays college rock music during regular rotation hours, trying to provide outlook for more breakthrough music.

“We’re gonna have specialty shows during the week from 10 p.m. to 12 a.m.,” Paul said.

Paul will be hosting an Urban Review show. Other things to listen for include a punk rock show and a program highlighting local bands.

Paul said feedback about the station’s new broadcast hours has been positive.

“We’re getting requests for songs between 12 a.m. and 3 a.m. which is great for the DJs who are working that shift,” he said.

Despite the recent increase in wattage, WWHR will continue to be a non-commercial station, Gaddie said.

The station was recently donated $15,000 worth of equipment to upgrade their news department, including seven new laptops.

“Now that we can be heard so far away, we can’t keep our focus strictly on Western,” Gaddie said.

Some of the new equipment also allows DJs to use rotational software to choose music play lists. In the past, station DJs chose music by picking an index card out of a box.

Gaddie said DJs and workers at the station are excited about the new opportunities.

“The transmitter was turned on last Sunday morning, and our goal is to keep it up and running,” he said. “Never have it turned off.”

Herald reporter Amy Roberts can be reached at [email protected].