Java City brings newest location, caffeine boost to library

Michael Casagrande

For years, students entering Helm-Cravens Library had to provide their own motivation to study.

This fall, Toppers will be able to grab a caffeine boost for late night studying at Western’s new coffee shop, Java City. The new establishment is located in the main entrance of the library.

Last week, Western’s Java City celebrated what manager Jim Sears called a “soft opening.” Sears said several hundred customers, including a number of faculty, enjoyed discounted coffee prices last week.

Western hopes to bring a new atmosphere to the library with the opening of Java City, Sears said.

“There is no other place on campus that had a coffee shop feel,” he said.

Java City will offer other options besides the regular cup of coffee to students and faculty. Gourmet sodas, pastries and sandwiches also appear on the coffee shop’s trendy menu.

Along with the new coffee drinks and finger foods, customers will have the opportunity to experience cultures from around the globe. Both the music and art departments have been asked to display their work in the spacious library entrance, Sears said.

The opening of Java City was outlined in a 15-year contract Western signed with Aramark in May. Aramark has been the university’s food service provider the past five years.

The contract called for a two-phase project to improve on-campus dining services. The opening of Java City is part of the first phase of the project.

Java City started out as a small coffeehouse in Sacramento, Calif., in 1985, but soon spread nationwide. In 2002, Java City will roast over 3 million pounds of coffee beans at 35 nationwide locations, according to a company brochure.

Students who stopped by last week to check out the new coffee shop said it brings a more “big city” feel to campus and to Bowling Green.

“It makes you forget you are in Bowling Green,” Santa Fe, N.M., senior Nieves Uhl said.

Coffee shop employee Zack Sturgeon said the addition of the coffee shop in Helm has also received positive feedback from library workers.

“The staff has reacted in such a way that they seem as excited as we are to open up,” he said.

Herald reporter Michael Casagrande can be reached at [email protected].