Carter, Sullivan earn NFCA All-Region honors

Credit: WKU Athletics

WKU outfielders Paige Carter (26) and Kennedy Sullivan (4) high five after they made two consecutive runs together in one play during the WKU v MTSU softball game on Mar. 6, 2020 at the WKU Softball Complex. The Hilltoppers won 3-1.

Jake Moore, Sports Editor

Two members of WKU’s softball program, redshirt senior Paige Carter and redshirt sophomore Kennedy Sullivan, were named to the NFCA All-Mideast Region Second and Third Team respectively, the organization announced on Wednesday. 

Carter and Sullivan helped drive the Hilltoppers to a berth in the 2021 NCAA Softball Tournament with their performances in the 2021 Conference USA Softball Championship.

Carter hit two home runs during the tournament and went 3-for-4 in the title game against UAB on May 15 with a double and a home run. Sullivan hit two home runs in the tournament as well and went 3-for-5 at the plate during the title game with three RBIs and a home run. Both athletes were named to the Conference USA All-Tournament Team with Sullivan earning tournament MVP honors.

Both Hilltoppers were also named to the Conference USA All-Second Team on May 15. Carter was named Conference USA Hitter of the Week on May 3 and Sullivan earned the same honor on Feb. 22.

The pair of honorees will take the field on Friday, May 21 at 1:30 p.m. CT with the rest of their teammates to face the Georgia Bulldogs (29-21), (7-17, SEC) in the first round of the Athens Regional in Athens, Georgia. The game will be broadcast on ESPN3. The full list of NFCA honorees can be found here.

Sports Editor Jake Moore can be reached at [email protected] Follow him on Twitter @Charles_JMoore.