WKU announces new director of media relations

Jace Lux will be replacing Bob Skipper as director of media relations, and will start in his new position on July 1. Photo provided by WKU.

Debra Murray, Digital News Editor

Jace Lux, the current director of recruitment and admissions at WKU, has been named the next director of media relations.

Lux will replace the current director of media relations, Bob Skipper, who will retire on June 30. He will start on July 1. 

“When I was a student here, I actually had Bob Skipper as an instructor from class,” Lux said. “So he didn’t know it then, and I didn’t know it then, but in a lot of ways he was preparing me for this role decades ago.”

Lux earned his bachelor’s, and master’s in mass communication, and his doctorate in educational leadership from WKU. Prior to becoming director of recruitment and admissions in 2014, Lux was assistant coach of forensics then became director of forensics in 2010. 

During his four years as director, the team won two American Forensic Association national championships, two National Forensic Association national championships, four Kentucky Forensic Association state championships and the International Forensic Association world championship.

Lux was admissions director during a challenging time, when overall enrollment declined from 20,171 in Fall 2014 to 18,171 in Fall 2019, according to WKU’s annual fact books. This year, according to the press release, the Fall 2020 freshman class grew by more than 400 students over the previous year at a time when many other universities nationwide saw freshman enrollment fall.

“Being able to be part of that team is just really exciting,” Lux said. “Being able to collaborate on different ways to tell the story about WKU, it’s very exciting to me. It’s a good opportunity for me to continue at the place that really means a lot to me and my family.”

Lux is married and met his wife, a fellow WKU graduate, during his time studying here.

“WKU definitely runs quite deep in our family, and is in many ways responsible for our family existing in a way that it does. We have two sons, ages six and 10 who will eventually WKU graduates themselves,” Lux said. “Those boys keep us very busy, but we have a lot of fun.”

Lux graduated from WKU in 2000, and started his career as assistant coach of the forensics team at WKU in 2001.

From starting his career at WKU as university photographer, then becoming director of media relations, Skipper is retiring after almost 35 years working at WKU. Before coming to work at WKU, Skipper worked for the Bowling Green Daily News and the Franklin Favorite newspaper.

“I have been fortunate to work with Jace on a number of projects and know he will do well in his new role,” Skipper said. “Jace will be working with seasoned professionals in Communications & Marketing who are a true team with the common goal of furthering the University’s mission through education and service.”

Digital News Editor Debra Murray can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @debramurrayy