Alcorn State Baseball’s Tristin Garcia transfers to WKU

Wyatt Sparkman, Baseball Reporter

Alcorn State sophomore Tristin Garcia announced via his Twitter that he will be transferring to WKU for the 2022 baseball season. He was named to the All-SWAC First Team for his play during the 2021 season.  

The Louisville, Kentucky native led the Southernwestern Athletic Conference and was third in the nation in batting average (.445) and averaged 1.81 hits per game in 2021. Garcia holds the 10th best batting average all-time at Alcorn state at .379. He also became the 49th member of the Braves’ 100-hit club on April 17, 2021 against Jackson State.

Garcia was the ninth-toughest player in the nation to strike out, only getting rung up eight times in 110 at-bats, which led the SWAC. He ranked second in the conference with a .500 on base percentage while ranking fifth in RBIs per game and sixth in slugging percentage (.582).

Over the 27 games the Braves played in 2021, Garcia led Alcorn State with 15 multi-hit games, 8 multi-RBI games, 10 doubles, 27 RBIs, and seven stolen bases. On March 27 against Alabama State and again on April 9 against Mississippi Valley State he tied a career high with four hits in each contest. Garcia tallied a career-high of five RBIs and hit a triple in the game against MVSU.

As a sophomore In 2020, Garcia was named to the All-HBCU First-Team by Black College Nines. He started nine games with a .333 batting average while being the second-toughest hitter to strike out in the SWAC. 

He led the team with multi-hit and multi-RBI games with four each in 2020. On February 19 he had a four-hit game including a solo homerun against then-#15 Ole Miss. He also led the team in on-base percentage (.413). 

As a Freshman in 2019 he led the Braves with a 10-game hitting streak, while notching a 15-game on-base streak during the campaign. He batted for .344 while tallying 54 hits, three triples and 20 multi-hit games. 

Garcia attended Male High School in Louisville prior to beginning his collegiate career. In his senior year with the Bulldogs Garcia batted .301 with 25 hits, 18 RBIs and scored 26 runs.

Baseball beat reporter Wyatt Sparkman can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on twitter @wyattsparkman3.