Bale, Thomas appointed to WKU Board of Regents

Credit: WKU

Board of Regents meeting from 2018.

Wyatt Sparkman, Reporter

Doris C. Thomas and Phillip W. Bale were appointed to the WKU Board of Regents by Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear, WKU announced. Both will serve through June 30, 2027. 

Bale, a resident of Glasgow and current physician, was reappointed to his second full term as a regent and also has served on the Glasgow Independent School District Board of Education for 12 years while serving as the chair for eight years. He has served on the Kentucky Museum board of directors and the Foundation for a Healthy Kentucky board. 

He is the founder of Glasgow Primary Care, now part of Graves-Gilbert Clinic, and Glasgow-Barren Family Medicine Residency Program, while he is the medical director of the Glasgow State Nursing Facility and the Hart County Health Care Center Signature Care. In addition he is a member of the American Academy of Family Physicians and the Kentucky Medical Association.

“I understand the critical role that WKU plays in our regional success and in the overall betterment of our Commonwealth,” Bale said in the WKU press release. “My only agenda as regent will continue to be a positive force in efforts to promote the mission and values of WKU.”

Thomas, a WKU alumna and resident of Smiths Grove, will be replacing Frederick Higdon of Lebanon. The recent retiree served as vice president of development and community outreach of Med Center Health. She has served on a number WKU boards committees as well as a number of community boards.

“WKU has played a powerful role in my life,” Thomas said in a WKU press release. “In addition to my personal involvement, our children are all graduates of WKU. The knowledge and experience they gained on the Hill were integral to shaping the foundations of their successful careers.”

“Their passion for our university and our students is obvious, and will be valuable members of a group of individuals who are determined to advance the mission of Western Kentucky University,” WKU President Timothy C. Caboni said in the press release. 

The board of regents will meet Aug. 5-6 for its annual retreat and quarterly meeting.

Reporter Wyatt Sparkman can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on twitter @wyattsparkman3.