SGA confirms budget, Martha Sales speaks

Jake Jones, News reporter

The third meeting of the 21st senate took place on Sept. 7. During the meeting, the budget for the year was confirmed, a guest speaker lectured on leadership qualities, and other important upcoming events were announced.

The meeting began with a speech by Dr. Martha Sales, the dean of students at WKU. She encouraged senators to engage with the community and scope the issues that students care about.

She also stressed the importance of implementing the processes that are within the powers of the senate to truly make a difference on campus.

“We have to learn how to lead,” Dr. Sales told the government body, “Your generation is going to change the world. But within that, you must learn politics, processes, and procedures.”

To close, Dr. Sales pressed the question to the senate, “What is your purpose?” as a student body. She put emphasis on being an effective leader, and its crucial importance in remaining relevant and sustainable.

After the speech from Dr. Sales, student body president Matthew Winniger announced a planned donor drive, in which SGA will form a partnership with at least four other student organizations.

Executive vice president Me’Lon Craighead reminded the senate of faculty and senate committee signups.

Chief of staff Parker Raybourne announced Hilltopper Hangout, an event planned for Sept. 24. More details will be announced in the future.

Chief Justice Holden Schroder reminded senators of upcoming elections and the new amendments that need to be voted on.

At the end of this week’s SGA meeting, Bill 1.21f was passed, which confirmed the budget for the year.

News reporter Jake Jones can be reached at [email protected].