26 Gatton Academy seniors nominated for National Merit Scholarship Competition

Photo courtesy of WKU News.

Debra Murray, Digital News Editor

Twenty six Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science seniors have been recognized as semifinalists in the 2022 National Merit Scholarship Competition. 

This year breaks the 2019 record of the most students recognized in a single school year in Gatton’s history. Since Gatton Academy’s establishment in 2007, 223 students have been named National Merit Semifinalists

From the approximately 16,000 semifinalists, roughly 15,000 students are expected to advance to the Finalist level.

“These students are remarkable in so many ways, not just in academics,” Lynette Breedlove, director of the Gatton Academy said in a press release by WKU News. “They are great people and contributing community members. I am proud of the people they are and the citizens they are becoming.” 

Finalists will be announced in February, and all National Merit Scholarship winners for 2022 will be announced in four nationwide releases beginning in April and concluding in July.

“Kentucky [is] full of exceptional students,” Breedlove said to WKU News. “These students’ school districts have worked hard to provide them with a solid foundation launching them towards excellence.”

Digital News Editor Debra Murray can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @debramurrayy