Assistant Provost for Institutional Effectiveness speaks at SGA meeting

Jake Jones, News reporter

Molly Kerby, assistant provost for institutional effectiveness, spoke at this week’s Student Government Association meeting Tuesday Oct. 26. 

Kerby came to SGA to talk about the changes she and her office have made in regards to achieving equality in the classroom, such as making changes to how professors can be inclusive in their lectures, the changes to admissions to add more gender identity options, and establishing a dialogue between faculty and staff in regards to making WKU a more inclusive community. 

“I think things half-calmed to the point where we can actually do some work,” Kerby said.

Kerby also expressed her contentedness with the recent boost in WKU’s score on the Campus Pride Index, an index used to gauge how colleges and universities across the United States broaden their opportunities for LGBTQ+ individuals. 

SGA president Matthew Wininger spoke of plans to establish a town hall discussion between SGA and the student body, and reassured senators of talks taking place to get the food service employment shortage under control.

Director of Public Relations Alexis Courtenay congratulated senators on a sweeping success regarding Hilltopper hangout, which took place last friday. 

“Thank you to all who participated,” Courtenay said.

Director of IT Jamison Moorehead announced plans for the SGA website, such as providing more resources on the site that students can use.

Senator Olivia Feck was nominated as the Senator of the month for October. 

Bill 7.21f was discussed amongst the SGA body. The bill regarded an allocation of funding for polo t-shirts that can be worn by SGA senators during meetings. The bill was in contention, with some senators arguing that with the coming winter months it would be uncomfortable to wear the polo at SGA events. If passed, the bill would take up 10% of the discretionary legislative budget. 

News reporter Jake Jones can be reached at [email protected]