Former General Counsel no longer Title IX coordinator

Gabi Broekema

The WKU Title IX Office on November 29, 2021, shortly after Wilkins’ termination.

Lily Burris, Editor-in-Chief

Deborah Wilkins is no longer listed as WKU’s Title IX coordinator; her phone number has been removed from WKU’s campus directory and her office in Downing Student Union was locked at 2:35 p.m. Monday with open boxes in the office.

But WKU isn’t talking about the changes.

Wilkins, WKU’s former general counsel who was moved to the Title IX coordinator job and “special assistant” to President Timothy Caboni in May 2020, is under contract through June 30 and is paid $178,164 a year.

Jace Lux, director of media relations, would not comment on the changes.

“In line with University practice, WKU does not provide comment on personnel issues,” he said in an email.

Lux said Andrea Anderson, who replaced Wilkins as general counsel, will serve as the interim Title IX coordinator and the reporting process for allegations of sexual misconduct will remain unchanged.

Wilkins, Lux said in the email, “remains employed through the duration of her contract at the end of the current fiscal year.” 

Wilkins started as general counsel in 1994 and served in that job until becoming the Title IX coordinator. 

The Herald attempted to reach Wilkins through her cell phone and received no response.

Editor-in-Chief Lily Burris can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @lily_burris.