WKU completes comeback 60-58 against Miami (OH) with a Meredith buzzer-beater


Marshall C. Canupp

WKU Lady Topper freshman guard Mya Meredith (5) drives to the rim through the West Virginia State University Yellow Jackets defense.

Joseph Thompson, Women's basketball reporter

WKU (6-4) completed a comeback Wednesday morning on the road against the University of Miami (Ohio) Redhawks (4-4), winning 60-58 on a buzzer-beating putback by freshman guard Mya Meredith. 

The Lady Toppers trailed for the three quarters of play but dominated the Redhawks in the fourth quarter 25-15. WKU’s up-tempo style of play managed to outlast Miami. The Lady Toppers scored 28 points in transition and stole the ball 12 times. 

Despite the victory, WKU struggled offensively. The Lady Toppers shot 40% (22-of-54) from the field and 5-of-19 (26.3%) from the 3-point line. They also lost the free throw battle, shooting 11-of-19 (57%) from the charity stripe.

WKU’s willingness to stay committed on the defensive side of the ball was the difference in the matchup. The Lady Toppers held the Redhawks to 25-of-71 (35.2%) shooting from the field and 3-of-22 (13%) from deep. 

WKU lost the rebounding battle 40-43 but were able to get key rebounds in the fourth quarter which held the University of Miami to one-shot possessions in crunch time.

Meredith and senior forward Meral Abdelgawad were the two standout players against the Redhawks. Abdelgawad led the team with 20 points and eight rebounds while also accumulating three steals. Meredith had 17 points and six rebounds, hitting the game-winning basket at the buzzer. Freshman guard Alexis Mead had 13 points and five assists. 

Miami won the first quarter 18-13. Alexis Mead started hot, scoring seven of her 13 points in the first period. The Lady Toppers as a team couldn’t find a rhythm defensively in the quarter but stepped it up in the second quarter tremendously, only allowing eight points from the Redhawks. Meredith was scoreless in the first quarter but put up seven in the second.

Miami led 26-24 at halftime and continued keeping WKU at bay in the third period. The Redhawks won the quarter 17-11. Abdelgawad and Meredith saved the day in the fourth quarter. The Lady Toppers went on a 9-0 run late in the game, taking a 58-56 lead. Abdelagwad scored four consecutive points during that stretch, keeping WKU in the fight. 

Miami scored with 3.9 seconds left and gave the ball back to WKU. Freshman forward Jaylin Foster missed a layup off a pass from Abdelgawad with one second left and Meredith came from the left corner to put the ball back up, scoring at the buzzer to beat the Redhawks 60-58.

Up next, The Lady Toppers continues their three-game road stretch as it travels to Teaneck, New Jersey to play the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights on Dec 17 at 6 p.m. CT.